Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marauder01

Wanted in Australia: Eisenia hortensis (European Nightcrawlers)

marauder01
14 years ago

Hi all,

I'd like to breed a few ENC's here in Aust. for fishing, but have been unable to find any for sale at all.

I have researched ANC's (available here, but in northern states for tropical purposes), and they will not suit my purpose, and will be too difficult to keep down here in Victoria (ie too cold).

I have asked our quarrantine department if I am allowed to import some from the overseas, reply as follows:

"AQIS Live Animal Imports manages the import of live animals and reproductive material into Australia. AQIS does this by applying import conditions that are determined by Biosecurity Australia and only the animal species and commodities, for which import conditions have been developed by Biosecurity Australia, are allowed into Australia.

As Biosecurity Australia has not developed import conditions for live worms, they are not permitted into Australia."

I am hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction, or better still, sell me a few from an existing herd in Australia (just because I can't find any to buy, doesn't mean they don't exist here in Aust., right?).

I'm only after maybe 20 to start a bin with (yeah, I'm patient, lol...not)

Thanks

Comments (10)

• leearnold
    14 years ago

Have you thought of just ordering some of their eggs? Since they are not (yet) live, I'm assuming there wouldn't be the quarantine problem.

• marauder01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, I hadn't thought of that, but I'll wager that would also be a no.

I'll send them another email asking about cocoons, but I'd reckon a cocoon is still "alive".

Thanks for the idea but.
    Cheers

• cathd66
    14 years ago

Yeah, I reckon cocoons qualify as alive. They're certainly 'reproductive material' (hate to think what else they have in mind...) After all, one the purposes of biosecurity regs is to stop invasive species getting a foothold. Whether those species arrive as adults or embryos is pretty immaterial to the natural environment.

• african
    14 years ago

I would strongly advise that you to consider very carefully, before making yourself responsible for bringing any new species of living creature into an area to which it is not native. However careful you are, inevitably some worms or egg casings will get into the surrounding environment, when compost is dumped into the garden or if the worms just crawl out of your bin and escape.

There are thousands of cases around the world of disastrous upsets to indigenous environments when living creatures and plants were recklessly introduced in such a way. Often the new species entirely displaces native species that have been in ecological balance with their environment for eons.

In North America and Canada the imported compost worm Lumbricus rubellus (a European species, very popular with worm farmers) is now considered by the state biologists to be a real threat to the natural forests. You can get some information on this if you follow the link below. In my own area our native flora is being completely swept away by a runaway growth of imported Australian wattles and other invasive alien plants. This has created a huge fire hazard for us and has destroyed much of the beautiful natural biodiversity. The long term consequences of uncontrolled imports of alien species are never easy to predict.

Besides being ethically irresponsible in taking such a gamble, I would strongly suspect that bringing in cocoons without an official permit would be against the law in most countries - as is importing seed and other plant material without official approval. Please don't do it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lumbricus Rubellus

• african
    14 years ago

Another very useful source of information about the threat to the environment of introducing alien worm species is contained in an excellent article written by Niall Dunne

"Invasive Earthworms  A Threat to North American Forests" - Plants & Gardens News : Volume 19, Number 1 : Spring 2004
    by Niall Dunne

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/essays/2004su_worms.html

• marauder01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the links African, I appreciate it. I will read with interest

I would never put at risk Australia's natural biodiversity, which is why I have made our quarantine dept. my first port of call. We do take it VERY seriously over here, myself included.

I will however, continue to search for an existing supply of ENC's in the country, which would be absolutely fine.

As the quarantine said, they haven't even done the research on worms yet, so I would never import them without officail permission.

Thanks

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

Jay, have you seen the paper linked below? If you scroll towards the bottom, it looks like E. hortensis have been found in S. Aus. & Tas. Maybe you could contact some of the universities in those states and inquire.

Good luck.

Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: Diversity of exotic earthworms in Australia - a status report.

• marauder01
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Andrew, what a great paper.

At least now I know of their existance in the country, and can continue the hunt in Tas and SA.

I think I'll email the writer of the paper for some leads.

Thanks again

Jay

• efurstenberg_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hi

My import permit for Europeans is almost ready and I will be getting some from overseas soon.

I will consider selling you a couple of worms or cocoons which could be shipped to Australia, probably with relative ease. (No import permit required).

To be afraid of Eisenia hortensis invading and harming local soil habitats in Australia is ridiculous.

I expect to have worms ready in less than 6 weeks' time.

Eric Furstenberg
    Pretoria
    South Africa email: efurstenberg@yahoo.com
    tel: 0027 12 800 3294 (office #)
    mobile: 0027 83 417 3339

• marauder01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the thought Eric, but the Australian quarrantine dept. was quite clear, and I'd rather not risk it for a few fishing worms.

Appreciate the offer though, thanks.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz