Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for some worms to get me started

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 22:59

Hello

I made a HUGE mistake with my last worm bin, and I accidentally overfed them before I had a large enough population. Needless to say, my worms got fried this fall and I've had a bucket full of decaying organic matter sitting there ever since!

Anyways, If anybody has some extra worms that they can spare I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm located in Illinois, so if anyone lives near the Chicago area that would help reduce shipping costs. I don't really care what kind of worms they are, but I started off with red worms and I'd like to try that again if possible.

Finally, I was wondering if I can keep the organic matter (it's been decaying in the bucket for a couple months now) or should I just start over??

If you can help me send me an e-mail at someguy00273952@yahoo.com

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for some worms to get me started

I'd love to help, but I'm in Aust.

As for the bucket of organic matter, if it was actually your worm bin, then maybe, just maybe, some cocoons may have hatched in there?

If this was the case, then have a careful sort through. You might get lucky.

Cheers

o

What does the stuff in the bucket look like? If it is dark and crumbly, and smells like rich soil, I'd use it. If it still looks like an overfed bin and smells like sewerage or ammonia, I wouldn't.

o

Okay, I have to clarify something. When I said "bucket", I meant the worm bin. Also, the stuff smells TERRIBLE! I can't wait to retry this project the RIGHT way. If anyone can help me please let me know.

o

If it smells terrible, toss it out and start over. It is probably full of volatile organic compounds, which are toxic to worms.

o

They have vericomposting at the new Pacific Garden Missions facility in Chicago. They might sell you some worms. They do sell a bin with worms so maybe they'll sell you the worms. I was there last week and bought some compost.

o

Go to www.vermicomposters.com and check your area. I'm on there and probably not to far for you.

o

It sounds to me that you have suffocated them rather than overfeeding. I would skreen the soil to find a few that may be alive and start again with more air holes for ventilation.

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 15:27

I am also in the Chicago area...where did you end up getting worms?

Karen

o

Composting worms are available at:
http://www.findworms.com/
http://www.cityfarmer.org/wormsupl79.html
http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topics/worm-suppliers
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/topic/vermicomposting/vermiculture/resource.html

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 8:58

thanks steamyb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here