Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blinkblogger

Interesting Observation After Three Weeks

BlinkBlogger
11 years ago

It's been almost three weeks since my worms arrived and so far so good! As I previously mentioned, after finding a few dead worms in my bottom bin, which wasn't intended to house them, I decided to add a bit of bedding and keep it moist; that way, I could "rescue" any of my little adventurers who ended up down there. That's been working quite well and even though I didn't notice any stragglers for a couple of days, it now seems that they must be actively going back and forth between the two bins. I usually find a few worms in the bottom bin when I check now, but what is so amazing is the amount of castings accumulating there; which I'm sure must be coming from a lot more than the occasional worm I find and return to the top bin.
The bottom of the bin, beneath the very little bit of bedding I have there, is almost covered with castings now and they're all over the PVC supports on each end that hold up the top bin. I even find them on the walls of the lower bin, but the vast majority of them are under the bedding.
So I'm curious to hear what you all think of that. Since I used mechanically shredded newspaper and cardboard in my main bin, I can't really determine the volume of castings there and make a comparison to what's being deposited in the bottom bin...where I'm now just putting newspaper shredded by hand. And since I think the worms might like that better and it makes it easier to tell what's going on in the bin, I'll use it when I add bedding in the future--mixed with the mechanically shredded cardboard.
Also, I think the worms are starting to eat more now as well, and it was really neat to see what was left of the apple cores I gave them!
One thing is for sure, the worms don't have any trouble going back and forth between the bins, which is something I was a bit concerned about. If I remember, I'll get "eyes" to take a picture of the castings in the bottom bin the next time she's here so you can let me know what you think.But I was wondering if anyone else thinks their worms go back and forth between bins. Thanks!
BB in FL

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz