Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worm vendors?

Posted by mad_gardener 7B (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 1:47

Has anyone purchased worms from Wild West Worm Farm? (see: http://wildwestwormfarm.com/aboutUs.htm) If so, did the worms survive shipping & arrive healthy? Do the prices seem fair? How quickly did you receive your worms? Other comments? I live north of Atlanta, GA, and this will be my first venture into vermicomposting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worm vendors?

Prices seem a little high to me, if they are close some people prefer to order local to keep the transit short.

Here's a link to some other suppliers w/ varying prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worm suppliers thread

o
RE: Worm vendors?

How far are they from you? I definitely support buying worms as locally as possible since it usually means you are getting worms adapted to your climate.

You might want to contact them and ask how they package their worms for shipping. I've heard horrible stories about people buying worms from someone that packed them in a plastic bag then boxed them for shipping, worms don't survive sealed in plastic. It is really easy to ship worms as you can line a cardboard box with several layers of paper, (newspaper or paper bags work) then place some fresh dry bedding in the box, finally place worms in a mix of moist bedding and castings into the box, add some more bedding on top and fold the paper over the worms and close the box. So long as the box is not completely covered with packing tape, it should breath enough for the worms to survive. The trickiest part is making sure there is enough moisture for the length of the trip but not so much that the box gets wet. Ya don't want the worms to sit at the post office or on the porch for an extended time once they arrive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here