Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do worm castings work for all types of plants?

Posted by presidiogarden (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 2:49

I am a pretty amateur vegetable gardener and I really want to get a good start on the upcoming season. I have tilled my raised beds and added last years' worth of vermicompost into the soil.
I bought some great seeds from Seed Savers consisting of:

Rainbow Chard
Golden Midget Watermelon
Dragon Carrot
Kolb Tomato
Gold Medal Tomato
Merveille Des Quatre Saisons Lettuce
Butterhead Lettuce
Butterfly Weed (to attract butterflies and bees)
Red Wethersfield Onion
Dwarf Blue Curled Kale
Arugula
Red Romaine
Spinach
Blueberries
Artichoke
Bee's Friend (to attract bees)

Will vermicompost work with all of these types of plants as fertilizer?
Also, is there such thing as too much vermicompost?
I am planning on companion gardening so I would like to be able to use the same soil for all of these fruits and veggies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do worm castings work for all types of plants?

I use worm castings on all of my plants: veggies, perennials, shrubs, trees, lawn, house plants, even my indoor catci. They all seem to benefit.

While it is always possible to overdo something, most plants would enjoy as much worm poop as you have to give them. If you are talking about an outdoor garden where you have mixed the castings into the soil, then you probably have not applied too much. Castings are very water soluble and will wash away fairly quickly, IME. I like to mix them with water to apply as a spoil drench in light doses over the season and use regular compost as a soil amendment to dig into my beds, but I don't think you have done anything wrong.

Your plants are all going to want the same garden loam with plenty of organic material (again, regular compost) except the blueberries, which require acidic soil to do well. Not sure where you are located, but if you are in SF, watermelons will want a hotter climate.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here