Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrhyme

Temperature

Myrhyme
10 years ago

Hi all, I'm a newbie getting ready to start my first worm bin. I have been planning on setting up my system in my unfinished basement but I'm a bit concerned about temperature. The temp hovers around 50 F and probably won't get much warmer for several months. Is this too low? I've read around and gathered that too cold is better than too hot, but I'm not sure if this low will really work.

If it is too low any ideas for how to raise the temp in and around the bin? It's not feasible for me to put the bin somewhere else (read: my wife won't let me put it anywhere else), but would a heat lamp of some sort do the trick?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

It will work. It will work s-l-o-w-l-y. Too slowly for my wants and needs. I keep vermicomposting worms in the basement at about that temperature. They survive and in the Worm Inn lay eggs. They do not seem to explode in numbers. I would like them to populate the bin faster and make vermicastings way faster than they do. To make the bin warmer I have added in rice and bread. I do not know they have made much or any heat. Rice and bread seem to make the bin less of a nice place to visit. So I do not put those in often. I would see if any tiny reptile heat mats are water proof. Don't want to use $$$ in electricity. 20 degrees warmer temperature would make vermicomposting much more exciting.

This post was edited by equinoxequinox on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 18:32

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

Just learned of a new product called a thermo cube. It is a plug. When the temperature is below 35 it turns on. Above 45 it turns off. This is for heat tape. Handy for those who have their worms in the garage.

• whatscooking
    10 years ago

I have a low watt bulb under mine and have wrapped the bin with an old electric water heater cover. I can keep my worms 65-70 even in this bitter cold we have now, My shop is set at 40 at night.

• barbararose21101
    10 years ago

I read a scientific site that recommended temperature in the 60 s.
    I agree with EQ2 that 50ú is OK but slow. Temp above 70 might
    be too warm.

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

I keep mine at the temps I keep myself.

Worms are almost exactly like us in many ways. They eat what we eat, and................well, that's about it except for people with serious composting delusions.

Temps, though, are conducive to maximum activity up to about 80f.

I use a space heater sometimes in my wormotel if the temps get much below 50f.

chuckiebtoo

• klem1
    10 years ago

Is there a window where the bin mght get solar heat. If the water heater is in the basment,sitting the bin near it would be good. If you must supply heat,I reccomend using a large bin. Line one end (about 1/3rd of bin) with styrofoam and put a quart to gallon container of water in that end. The pet shop stocks a tiny heater resembling a test tube or cigar sleeve. Use the heater to control tempiture in the container of water. The goal is to allow the worms to choose the most comfortable zone while spending very little on electric power.

• klem1
    10 years ago

Duplicate post deleted

This post was edited by klem1 on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 14:25

• Antalya
    10 years ago

I read somewhere that to elevate worm bin temperature it is helpful the wrap the bin w/ Christmas Tree lights. I have been doing this in my basement and it seems to work. I had tried a heat lamp but it dried the bedding out too quickly.
    It's cold in the basement - but the interior of the bin is 63-70 degrees.
    I have been doing everything "right" but something must be wrong because my first worm harvest was ok -but there were no worms there! Ok, slight exaggeration. Maybe 100?? AAARGH. V
    Very discouraging.

• Shaul
    10 years ago

I have been using Rope Light successfully for 4.5 years (find out more with the Search function).
    Ideal temps: 60 - 80F and 10 - 25C.

Shaul

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH