Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hibiscusfan

Favorite treats?

Do your worms have any favorite foods, I want to fatten mine up?

Comments (10)

• PeterK2
    12 years ago

Melons or anything melon like. Can't say if they get fat, but it's the only food I've see where you can even see the worm tracks where they have plowed through hehe.

• sbryce_gw
    12 years ago

Horse manure.

• moandtg
    12 years ago

pumpkin

• reedandleaf
    12 years ago

My guys go crazy for moistened, plain oatmeal.

• jesse_2008
    12 years ago

reedandleaf are you talking Quaker Oats raw or cooked?

• patrick1969
    12 years ago

Mine love pumpkin and melon.

• reedandleaf
    12 years ago

Raw, soaked in room-temp water until the oats are nice and moist.

I get the oats in bulk from a great local co-op. This is a much cheaper option than buying name brand oatmeal (and cheap is good seeing as I don't even eat oatmeal myself, I'm just getting it for the worms!) And also, I can be sure that the co-op bulk oatmeal doesn't have the added salt, flavors, or sweeteners that brand name oatmeal often contains.

When I put it in the bin, I bury it roughly two inches down. I spread it thinly in narrow furrows because, not being a porous substance, it can go anaerobic if it is placed in too thickly. I would guess I spread it about 1/2 of an inch thick by 1 and 1/2 -2 inches wide by 6 inches long, in several locations around the bin.

They go absolutely nuts for it. They don't touch any other food in the bin until all of the oatmeal is gone, it gets eaten up in the blink of an eye, and when I give it to them I don't see them for days--they're too busy working hard. If I dig in the bedding to check on them, they are all glommed up in mass worm/oatmeal balls of ecstasy :)

I know it probably sounds silly that I buy oatmeal just for the worms, but they love it and they work so hard for me, I like to spoil them sometimes-- who would have thought that worms could be so darn cute!

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Reedandleaf, I tried the oatmeal and the worms love it. Wanted to start a second bin and the worms from my bottom bin came up to the top bin like crazy.

Thanks to everyone for your information my worm family like all of your suggestions!

• JerilynnC
    12 years ago

Rotten cucumbers, without a doubt. I also still have some Purina worm chow left over from a 50lb sack I bought years ago for around 8 bucks, and that works well. But, if you want to fatten them for fishing or whatever here's a recipe from my friends over at the Happy D worm ranch.
    http://www.happydranch.com/wmfat.html

WORM FATTENER RECIPE

5 parts chicken layer pellets or chick starter
    2 parts wheat or rice bran
    2 parts alfalfa pellets
    1 part whole wheat flour
    1 part agricultural lime
    1 part powdered milk

Mix several handfuls with food waste before feeding to worms. Worm Fattener is very dry & must be moistened so the worms will consume it.

• antoniab
    12 years ago

Cornbread. Though too much will heat up the bin.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz