Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Testing tools

Posted by Niivek none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 11:06

This seems like a great forum for wormers. I'm just getting started on having my pound or so of spineless employees make castings for me in a 18 gallon bin in my basement.
Does anyone collect empirical data from their bins and product? I've read that you ideally want a temperature between 60-70 degrees F, neutral PH and about 70% humidity. So, if you're compulsive, you want a thermometer and some other measuring tools. Its been a long time since high school, so what do you use to test PH? I remember using litmus paper in school. Where does one buy lutmus paper, or is there another device that can test the PH of your bin?
As far as humidity, I suppose a cigar store might have a barometer or something to test with.
What other data points would one want to collect to ensure you are running a good bin? Is there a tool that can test for carbon or nitrogen content?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Testing tools

"is there another device that can test the PH of your bin?" I usually just dip in my tongue.

Unless you are feeding great quantities of brand new pineapple or orange pulp and zero bedding then pH is probably a non issue.

o
RE: Testing tools

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 21:58

You taste your VC, equinox? Wow you are a dedicated worm keeper.

I bought pH litmus strips on eBay. I suppose one could buy them from a biological supply house. I have only used it in working with the bokashi composting. I have not gotten into environmental monitoring of the worm bin so unfortunately I can't be of help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here