Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weldin810

Cocoa Shells & Vermicomposting

weldin810
10 years ago

last year I purchased a large bag of cocoa shell mulch to use to top the soil of my house plants. This mulch is very small & lightweight & dark in color & it looked great on my plants until it started to mold & attract fungus gnats. I guess this mulch is known to form a white mold that is not harmful to plants but for indoor use it did not work. I removed all the mulch from my plants & threw it away.

Now I have a large bag of this mulch in my apt & I have no use for it. I was wondering if I could add this in small amounts to my vermicompost bin.

I did some web searching to read about it & I came across this piece of info "In some cases when the weather is very hot and humid, a harmless mold may appear. The cocoa shell contains protein which aids in decomposition to produce humu which stimulates beneficial soil bacteria. This is a sign of the protein at work."

I would still like to find the C:N & acidic content of this product. It smells like chocolate & I am a little worried if it would make my bin to acidic because I already add my daily coffee grounds to my bin.

My bin is a wood box, 13"l x 16"w x 8"d. It has been going for about 3 mo now & I'll be doubling the size soon.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES