Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sk290

Horse manure

Sandra Tran
14 years ago

Another question... I've read about the concerns of feeding horse manure to the wormies due to deworming meds. I was thinking about asking the local horse farm if I could go dig in their piles for more worms. If there are worms in their piles I'm guessing that there would be no issues with the condition of the manure that could hurt my wormies. Is that a good assumption?

If I were to segregate them into a separate bin, how long should I wait until it's safe? Thanks!

Sandra

Comments (9)

• greyowl77
    14 years ago

Yes that is a good assuption. My understanding is your wormmies have the amasing ability to purify toxins as well as meds.
    To have the best chance of finding more wormies (smile) dig in manure that is at least 2 years old.
    good luck

• mendopete
    14 years ago

The horse manure I use is 2-3 years old with red wigglers present. It is kind of a bonus! The herd thrives with a monthly deposite in the bin.

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

Sandra, I would try to collect old manure. How can you tell what's old? I don't really know, but I can tell you that stuff that's still steaming is NOT old. :-) If you find stuff with worms in it, then it's definitely old enough to feed directly to the worms. The manure I collected last month went from steaming hot to comfortably warm in a couple of weeks. It was left outside exposed to air & rain. From all I've read, that should render any de-worming meds & urine in the bedding harmless. I've since fed the manure a few times and my squirm loves the stuff.

Andrew

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

I have fed my worms horse manure that is only a few days old. I put some of it in an old cottage cheese container, then add about 10 worms. If they are still happy after 2 days (They always have been), I add the manure to the bin. Letting fresh manure sit outside for a couple of weeks is probably a good idea.

• Sandra Tran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cool! Thanks guys. I'll let you know how the trip goes, maybe take some pics and post afterwards. Wormies better appreciate this... :)

Sandra

• fosteem1
    14 years ago

I have fed my worms horse manure fresh from the horse. Yes it was smelly but my bin is outside. It was amazing, first that one dropping was nearly two gallon of manure and second that the worms had ate everything except the grass inside the droppings in two days. And the grass from inside the dropping was gone in four.

The worms truly love horse manure.

• stevesd
    14 years ago

I'm so jelous of people who have access to horse manure. I certainly don't think I would be afraid to feed it if it were a week or more old, especially if the manure was in a pile. Remember that there is a lot of activity in a manure pile and the micro herd changes everything in that pile. I think most of the fear of feeding de-wormers in manure is really quite exagerated. These products are aimed at endoparasites, not the same thing as an earthworm at all. just my take on that...steve

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

The one problem I have had with horse manure is that one batch I fed the worms has some sort of fly in it. It was/has been very difficult to get rid of.

• plumiebear
    14 years ago

stevesd, I live in a pretty dense urban area (SF Bay area) and was able to find a horse stable 15 min. away that was happy to give away their manure. You might want to see if you have any stables nearby...maybe you don't need to be jealous anymore?

Andrew