Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worms for Raised Bed Garden

Posted by susancol 7 Atlanta (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 14:20

So I was digging in my raised bed gardens, which are made up of primarily compost and are sitting on hard clay underneath. I noticed that there are no worms to speak of in my soil. So I was considering buying some and seeding the garden with them. I don't want to vermicompost. I just wanted to have a normal amount of worms in my garden. Is this ok? Or would the worms I purchase and put in the garden just die if I don't feed them like you would in a vermicompost setup? Are the worms you get for vermicomposting different than the ones that would naturally occur in a garden? Does it matter? Is this a good idea for my garden or a newbie disaster?

Thanks in advance for your response!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worms for Raised Bed Garden

I'd save the money and simply wait. You did not say how long you had your raised beds running, but worms will appear. At one time I swore my worm population was deficient. I'd dig around and find very few. Then after alot of mulching in the lawn and using compost in my garden I began to notice more and more worms. Now I can barely turn a spadeful to plant a seedling without seeing a worm.

o

The worms used in composting are different than worms that live in soil. You may have success putting composting worms into a garden bed that is mostly compost, but there are no guarantees. I'd hate to see you spend the money, then lose all of them.

o

I've had my raised beds for about 4 years now. It seems like in past years I've maybe seen a few worms, but this year there definitely were none that I noticed. My beds are made primarily of compost - maybe some peat or perlite added in, and I add some new compost every year. (not homemade). So the consensus is not to try the purchase route? I agree that I would hate to buy 'em only to have them die. That's why I asked the question of you experts.

Thanks!
Susan

o

Composting worms are different from those that live in the ground. In the wild, red wigglers live on top or in the the first couple of inches of the soil.

I just moved to Southwestern Idaho with clay soil and am just starting my raised beds. I plan to some EH's and some Alabama Jumpers to work my compost into the clay.

o

I put worms in my square foot beds.
I simply use one square of my beds as a compost space. That is, I put fruit/veggie scraps in there for the worms to munch.
If you do not give them a constant food source they will die or take off. That is, if you are adding red wigglers.
Or you can do like the others say and just keep adding organic compost to your beds and eventually the native worms will come.

o

If your raised garden bed is kept damp, it sounds like a good environment for composting worms even without you working at it.

I just built a new raised bed, layers of manure, lucerne etc, and after letting it cook for a couple of weeks, I have added some compost worms and I think they will do very well.

I am not planning to feed them, plenty of stuff there already.

o

I had to back a ways to find this posting which I would like to piggy back with something I have been experimenting with in my garden. I started gardening after moving to Montana nearly ten years ago and have yet to see an indigenous worm in my 60' x 100' garden. I have been vermicomposting kitchen scraps indoors with red wigglers in a peat moss based media for a number of years and started using the 'spent media' for germination and potting mixes after starting my garden.

Although I have several outdoor compost bins for horse and cow manure using these same red wigglers, I have not been able to establish them in the garden, which comes to no surprise. However, I have tried something new which may be of interest. I dig a sizable hole in the garden to transplant tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash. The holes are refilled with a 50:50 mix of top soil and vermicomposted manure.I began noticing a few red wigglers in the holes after my spring tilling earlier this year. I was a bit surprised that they had survived our harsh winters, but the thought occurred to me that adding some red wigglers to these holes initial might serve the same purpose (aeration) as native earth worms. I added a cottage cheese container of vermiculture mix this last season to each hole from the indoor compost bins which contained hundreds of worms. The worms didn't appear to migrate from their transplanted homes and appeared to be doing well throughout the growing season. I mulch with alfalfa hay around each of these holes and irrigate with drip feeders or soaker hoses. Occasional checks showed some worms near the surface of each hole. I'm anxious to see how many residual worms I will see in the holes come next spring tilling.

I am still trying to find a suitable earthworm which will establish themselves on a permanent bases in my garden but this could be tricky. My garden rests on bed rock which is two feet below the surface and -20F temperatures are fairly common for extended periods of time. Our ground frost can extend this deep which makes for tough conditions for indigenous worms.

o

I built a raised bed garden this year out of straw bales. I did seed some worms in the bales. At the end of the season, I raked up the remains of the bales to use as mulch and compost and was amazed at the amount of worms in the material. Of course this material was all sitting on top of the ground. I have two 4x4 bins full of material and a big 5x5x3 pile that I'm dying to check come spring when everything thaws.

o

coach_g, I surrounded my hoop house with hay bales for some additional support from our all too common Chinook winds. When I moved several of these inside the hoop house to make a winter cold frame for spinach and loose leaf lettuce, I noticed the same thing. However, these were not native worms, but a bunch of renegade red wigglers. Straw bales are a natural hide out for any worms in the neighborhood and a good way to establish a plot of fishing worms if your into that. Toss some corn meal or ground corn cobs underneath several adjoining hay bales and your in business.

o

If you use or have used Roundup in or around your garden, perhaps you have killed off your worms.
I read this recently:

'Monsano’s advertising campaigns have convinced many people that Roundup is safe, but the facts just don’t support this. Independent scientific studies have shown that Roundup is TOXIC TO EARTHWORMS, beneficial insects, birds and mammals, plus it destroys the vegetation on which they depend for food and shelter. Although Monsanto claims that Roundup breaks down into harmless substances, it has been found to be extremely persistent, with residue absorbed by subsequent crops over a year after application.'
http://www.organicconsumers.org/monsanto/roundup.cfm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here