Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I got my worms!

Posted by Ecopal none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 15:18

Hey Everybody
Today I got my 500 red wigglers from Uncle Jims worm farm. They appear to be very lively and in good health and it only took about four days for delivery. I followed instructions on how to start a worm bin except that instead of newspapers I used dry leaves. Is that O.K.? Also I have been told that worm castings make excellent fertilizer. But is that enough for my tomatoes and other vegetables or will I need to get other kinds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I got my worms!

Hip hip hooray!

I got my worms from Uncle Jim's a year or two ago and the farm is still going strong. I feel like a proud worm-herder.

Dry leaves should be fine--I use some dried leaves in my worm bin, and some nice, clean corrugated cardboard, ripped up. I like to mix a few different kinds of bedding in. Also, I'm careful about how "clean" the leaves that I use are, since I don't want to get the dreaded centipede (a worm carnivore) in my operation.

Whether the wormery compost will be enough for your veggie operation depends on how big a veggie operation you have. Most likely, especially until the worms get eating and multiplying, you will probably need other sources of compost. I keep a big bin composter going outside with shredded newspaper, leaves, manure, and any garden scraps that the chickens don't like.

Certainly you will need some other fertilizers, since the NPK values of compost tend not to be very high. I use blood meal for nitrogen, bone meal for phosphorous, and wood ash for potassium.

Depending on what you choose to do later, you might expand your worm operation to make more compost, but at least this spring and you'll need another source.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here