Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking about starting "Vermicomposting"

Posted by larry_n7luf 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 16:03

Hello, My wife and I just became more or less Vegan and are juicing about 1/2 pounds of vegetable's per day.
We have 5 rotating composting bins running over and two of our bins have worms that came from a compost pile that must have had eggs.
Now we have worms coming out from under the lids and they are red and small, so I guess they are red wigglers.
My composting bins are not really compost like I think they should, because my wife does not understand the carbon ratio to what she adding.
Now what to do with all that pulp we are making, what come to my mind is to worm farm and to get some rubber made tubs and drill baby drill.
Then move the compost and worms out into the tote tubes, and I JUST do not know how many bins I will need and where to put the worm bins.
My only fear are the bears and raccoons that may rip the bins open.

So...being new at this I am open for ideas and question....HELP PLEASE!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking about starting "Vermicomposting"

Having little or no experience...OK, make that no experience.... with the rules of worming with bears, I would suggest situating your bins in a bear-resistant area of your property....like indoors.

As for the rest of our knowledge, feel free to blog but also read the archives. There is a wealth of non-bear-related info in there.

Chuckiebtoo

o

Interesting that we have had two new juicing posters today. "juicing about 1/2 pounds of vegetable's per day.
We have 5 rotating composting bins running over" I take that to mean half a pound of pulp? Or one to two pounds of pulp? The other poster should take note that just this much pulp is taxing 5 of the composting bins that rotate. This will help them size their system.

If worms are crawling out of the system, this is not unheard of, then the only help you need is to add bedding. Do you eat eggs? If so "save the world" and put the egg cartons into the bin. Read the newspaper? Bring home produce from the farmers market in cardboard boxes or paper bags? Use paper towels or toilet paper or wrapping paper or aluminum foil which have tubes to put into the bin. Use coffee filters or paper towels or napkins? Rake up leaves? Have used up cotton t-shirts, undies or jeans?

Nitrogen with out Carbon equals Stinky Stuff equals Death.

Nitrogen with Carbon equals Bio-matter equals Life Giving Force.

It is a Feng Shui Chakra Balancing thing.

Plastic bins are possible with zero holes and zero covers. Many do it that way. Even better would be a wood bin.

Happy worms make charmed vermicompost which make happy plants to juice.

o

Larry, you are not thinking about vermicomposting, you are now a worm farmer! Congratulations!!

Now what to do as a responsible worm farmer, that is the question.
The conditions you have created in the 2 bins seems to be ideal. Done right, they will quickly grow and multiply, soon leaving you more worms than you know what to do with. I would add a shovel-full (or 2) of the wormy compost to the non-wormy bins then prepare a more permanent worm bin.

Are your rotating compost bins the larger type on a stand? I have a wormy-friend who pre-composts worm food (kitchen waste) in one of those. He always has a good population of baby wigglers in there, even though it heats up some.

I have dealt with many wormbed invaders, but not bears. If you build a strong wood box out of 2" wide material and a strong hasp lock(or 3), it should keep them out. Maybe pattern your construction after the "bear boxes" found at campgrounds for food storage. HEAVY-DUTY!!

I have a 3'x5'x18" box formed out of re-recycled 4x6 fence posts. It is open-bottom., and has a framed plywood lid. It keeps out coons, and I think would keep out bears with some HD hasps.

Good luck to you Larry the worm farmer.

o

Where to start, we do not eat eggs now or any animal protein.
We collect recycled mail and shred the paper goods and cardboard boxes as we a 22 page shredder.
Next question:Are your rotating compost bins the larger type on a stand? Yes, but not as much as we should, but my lovely wife keeps trying to add our kitchen waste. Now she holding it waiting for me to get new composter or now worm bins. Now looking I believe worm would be a better way to get rid of that pulp.
Oh, the second bin got the worm as I move some compost from the first composter.
By the way, the heat or cold has not slowed down the worms in the composter, but worm are eating everything up and the bins are getting smaller, maybe the worms are eating then leaving. I will be moving some of the worms to the other composter while I decide what to build.
Two year ago We had mother bear and baby tear a composting box apart that I never turn and it was rotton just like the bear like. When they visited they were into everything that night.
I am working on a plan to use motion lights and wire a buzzer into the light to scare off the deer, bears and what ever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here