Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gillettrichards

Travel with worms: Possible to fly?

gillettrichards
12 years ago

Hi all, new to this forum. can't find anything when I google about this - can I bring some worms to my family in Chicago (my bins are bursting with worms) via flight (from CA)? Can they go through the scanners and be okay, or in my luggage?

Comments (9)

• patrick1969
    12 years ago

That would be interesting to find out... somehow I think that the TSA would frown on worms in your luggage, but maybe there is a suitable container that would allow you to safely transport the worms.

• PeterK2
    12 years ago

Apparently yes. BTW for google searches (from someone who's spend WAY too much time) you can search in the form of a question. Let the google engine, which is amazing, do the work. "redworms on a plane" got the below hit.
    Then again, remember it's up to the security people once you hit the checkpoint. All it takes is one assh....

http://texasredworms.com/2010/11/03/tsa-and-flying-w-redworms/

• Karchita
    12 years ago

People mail them all the time, so I suppose many of those worms fly. I actually don't see a problem. If you have them in a plastic bag in your carry on, TSA probably won't even notice them unless you mention it. They aren't the sort of thing they are looking for: weapons, metal, liquids, aerosols, inflammables.

• gillettrichards
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the replies - much appreciated! I'll let you know how it goes - Linda

• Stormygale
    5 years ago

I and my wife transport breathable bags of 10 pounds of Reds or Euros in 10 pounds of dry peat moss in our wheelchair backpacks all the time.

These wheelchairs are placed in the warmer pet transport area of the baggage compartment at the loading gate when we board the plane.

There may be to much peat moss converted to castings in the bag if the worms have been in the bag over 24 hours and cause the explosive nitrates scanner to alert, but TSA people look at the contents funny, call everyone over and pass it through.

I think it makes their day as the most interesting ‘positive’ item of the day!

• otcay
    5 years ago

the irony of EARTHworms in the AIR!

• armoured
    5 years ago

"These are my emotional support composting worms."

• PRO
    angelodan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You can carry them with you in a special container. I think they'll let you through. You can call the airport and describe the situation. When I flew to my relatives in Germany, I was very worried that I would not be able to take a dog with me. But after calling the airport, I described the situation and was told that you can fly with dogs. I also used the db auskunft service for travelers, which shows the train schedule, because my family and I were going to visit the Zugspitze, the Black Forest and Neuschwanstein Castle. It was an interesting journey.

• thicceywing
    2 years ago

I'm sure they would let it through. My only worry would be that because worms are so small and mostly liquid, many of them may explode from the change in pressure, but I've never heard of it happening, so it may be fine.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz