Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hibiscusfan

Newbie question

My son made me a composter out of two ten gallon rubbermaid tubs last fall, I haven't added any water all winter and now it seems to be a little dry. I would like to know how much moisture I should keep in it?

Comments (3)

• susanfromhawaii
    13 years ago

You want the whole thing to be as wet as a wrung out sponge. Since it's 2 tubs, does that mean you have holes in the bottom of the one with the worms or that you have 2 active tubs?

If you have holes in the bottom, it can't get too wet. Excess water will drain. Worms need to have wet skin to be able to breathe. If you've ever seen a dried up worm, you know that they're mostly made of water. (So are we, >60% water)

If you don't have holes, you want to try to add enough to be damp, but not have standing water in the bottom. When I had a system without holes in the bottom, I used a turkey baster and tipped the bin to one side to get as much water out as I could. The other way to reduce the percentage of water is add more bedding. You're supposed to keep adding bedding as well as food along the way as the worms consume both.

So add some water, give it time to soak in and see how it feels. You're headed for damp, not wet. Think forest floor a day or two after the rain, not the day of the rain. Mistakes on either side of the spectrum are easily fixed. (More water or more bedding - I don't think it's possible to add too much bedding.)

Let us know if you have any other questions along the way. The most common newbie mistake (I speak from experience) is to add too much food all at once. Wait until most of the previous food is gone before adding more and add more bedding about every other time you give food.

• SusanfromMontana
    13 years ago

This is to add to Susan from Hawaii's comment on adding more bedding with the food. I feeze my chopped food. After a week or so, I thaw out some food that is the appropriate amount for the number of worms I have. There is always some liquid with this defrosted food. If your bins are still fairly dry, add the whole thing (liquid, too). My bins are as Susan from Hawaii described (like a wrung out sponge), so I pour my food and liquid into a paper mache egg carton section to soak up the liquid.

Once a week I mix up a bucket of what I call "worm candy". I fill a 5 gal. bucket (I have 3-18 gal. bins) with torn up egg cartons, cardboard, newspaper, and leaves and dump a bag of frozen food (about 3lb.) on top. There is usually enough moisture in the food to moisten the bedding. I mix this each day for a week. If everything is not moist like the wrung out sponge you can add water. I spread this mixture over the top of each of my bins. The next morning the worms are all over it.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your info. I'll have to keep adding more moisture to my bin. Both have holes in the bottom and I only keep worms in one and use the other to put on top when I want to seperate worms from compost which I did before winter just to see if it worked and to my surprise it worked great! Almost all the worms crawled up into the new bin. Only had to sort out some of the newborns and eggs.