Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
urban vermicomposting

Posted by jkenward (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 9, 09 at 16:48

I have a question about vermicomposting in the city. I have done some mid-scale operations in the rural setting, helping with school cafeteria composting projects where there is little concern about rodents. I'm in Detroit now and I would like to help a soup kitchen in my church (and maybe schools or other projects) compost all of their food waste. Many people that I've mentioned the idea to have been concerned about rats. There is very little written in any of the books that I've seen about rat prevention other than avoid animal products. I was wondering if you have any knowledge about problems with rats and if so any suggestions for overcoming them. Any info would be a great help. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: urban vermicomposting

Vermicompost is the best solution for this situation. If you run the bin correctly, there shouldn't be issues with rodents. If there are already rodents present, you can use lids to cover the bin and seal it up, so that the only access is 1/2" holes in the bottom of the bin. I used the directions on Vcompost.com and I keep it in my garage without any issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermicompost Guide

o
RE: urban vermicomposting

If you could set up a few bins indoors that would be an ideal situation. Plus you could feed steadily year-round.

It's been my understanding that the main reason meat is not recommended for worm bins, is because of the attraction of rats and other rodents. So even if you had to set up your bin outside, don't add meat to the bins and make sure the bottom holes are too small for rats to enter.

Just my thoughts, anyway

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here