Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pdxwindjammer_gw

I've Got Chills, They're Multiplyin'!!

pdxwindjammer
14 years ago

Okay, I couldn't help myself in the reference to that cheesy Grease song!

I bartered on craigslist and exchanged $20 in strabuck's gift certificates for some red wigglers about 6 weeks ago. I thought the people I got the worms from were a bit chintzy in how many they gave me.

I built my own worm bin, shredded newspaper and egg cartons and started feeding my squirm my kitchen scraps. I tried my best to just feed them a couple of times a week but I have an obsession with them and check on them almost daily to see how they are doing.

My wigglers seem to be incorporating all parts of my bin, including going for some of the top layers of newspaper. This seems to indicate that I am not dropping anything offensive to them in the bin because they are in all 4 corners and in the middle.

I noticed about a week ago that there were a LOT of little, tiny worms. I have been reading about cocoons but had no idea what to look for or how big these cocoons would be.

Today I googled for images of "red wiggler cocoons" and found some photos. Armed with this new info, I took a spoon and lifted out some of the castings. Lo and behold, I found several little cocoons in this tablespoon of castings so my guess is that they are throughout the bin!

I can't wait to start a second bin so I have more castings for my garden!

Does anyone else have an obsession with their worm bins or should I be seeking out a WA (worms anonymous) meeting? ;-)

Comments (8)

• singleton165
    14 years ago

LOL
    My kids warn me that I'd better not introduce their friends to my worm bin when they come over.
    I too am amazed at how fast they multiply! At least they don't take up as much room as rabbits!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

Enjoyed reading your post.

I think of this website as my WA.

• marauder01
    14 years ago

Me too!

2 years in and I'm still looking at least once a week. Just can't seem to stop experimenting with conditions for the ultimate in home worm breeding.

Cheers

PS I now have 11 bins going. Does this make me a worm-a-holic??

• keble
    14 years ago

Yes, I need to sign up for WA. I've just eaten a banana and while I was hungry and I do like bananas, I've realized that the real reason I ate one was so that I could snip up the skin and bury it in my wormery. Son and Husband made this for me (at my request) for Christmas - I set it up about midJanuary and have to stop myself checking it every time I go into the garage. I yell at anyone who leaves the garage door open too long - my worms might get cold! Between this and my compost bin, my son thinks I exhibit an unhealthy obsession with decaying matter....

• pdxwindjammer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whew! Glad I am not the only one! Thought I was losing control!

My boyfriend thinks I am nuts. Every time I go out into the garage he asks if I am checking on my new pets!

Maurader, I think you are definitely a worm-aholic!

Time to go out to check my worms! :-)

• courtcourt
    14 years ago

My worm are in my kitchen, so it's hard for me not to check on them every time I go in there. In the summer, they'll go down in the much cooler garage, and they'll probably be happy that I'm leaving them alone.

I recently posted a picture of them on facebook...I think that qualifies for WA, huh?

• Shaul
    14 years ago

Did you start naming them yet? I've started once or twice but I keep losing count, or was it that I keep mixing up the multiple sets of quintuplets? I can't remember. Also, I check on 'em at least once a day, maybe more. After all, they're almost like family.

Shaul

• fam62cc
    14 years ago

"I have an obsession with them and check on them almost daily to see how they are doing."

Ha, you call that an obsession? I check mine at least twice a day. But then I'm an old retired fart with not much to do, except laundry, cooking, dish washing, shopping and playing pool.

Dave Nelson