Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vermicomposting in a 55 gallon plastic drum

Posted by Ajonjoli none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 17:56

Hi, I am new here and would like to have any information regarding using a 55 gallon plastic drum to do vermicomposting. Has anyone tried it? What was the outcome? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vermicomposting in a 55 gallon plastic drum

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 19:10

I use 55 & 30 gallon plastic drums for planters,rain barrels, and many other things. I have not used them for warms yet.
The problems I see is making sure the drums are clean of chemical, but for using it for worms. You can cut it in half vertically or Horizontally. You could lay the drum down & cut only the top 1/3 of the drum from top to bottom, this will give you higher sides then cutting it in half vertically.
We would like to see photos. I use a sawzaw.

o

I posted some links in your other post at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Answered over here

o

The main problem would be the handling.

A half drum full of worm compost would be damn heavy. With drums, you wouldn't be able to easily set up any kind of layered system to seperate the worms from the compost and drawing off the worm tea in a controlled manner would be a mission.

If you really want to go DIY rather commercial, then use simple plastic tote bins that are easy to set up as layers, because they are tapered and easy to nest.

They are the only real answer for a neat and tidy set up that doesn't mess up the entire area whenever you need to work with your worms - see the following web page for directions to make a simple but effective worm farm.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Worm Farming

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here