Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeding on Paper Goods

Posted by SelenaD-Composter none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 18:05

I am new to composting and am not sure which papers are OK and not OK. I set up my bin with the provided cardboard base and then put a layer of newspaper shreds. So I know newspaper and cardboard are ok. I am currently wondering about egg cartons and gift tissue paper.

What are your worms' favorite paper goods and how often do you give it to them? Are there any paper products that are often thrown away but could be put in the bin?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeding on Paper Goods

Egg cartons are wonderful in the bin! I wouldn't use the tissue paper at all because of the dye. Plain black and white paper is best; nothing coloured or glossy.

o

"Are there any paper products that are often thrown away but could be put in the bin?"

Paper towels and napkins,toilet tissue roll tubes, dryer lint,paper super market bags to name a few. I don't make a great effort to sort out colored and slick paper. There is no proof the ink isn't safe and slick paper isn't as readly consumed but eventualy decay.

o

Dryer lint will have synthetic fibers that won't decompose. Glossy paper is printed with a thin layer of varnish over the ink, which I would not put in the bin.

o

sbryce said it right. Dryer lint is made up of many textiles, much of which doesn't break down.

With access to so much paper......newspapers, cardboard, phone books, confidential records, all which are perfect for the bin, why bother with tissue paper and glossy fliers and magazine type paper? These are best recycled, and out of the worm bins. I don't have enough room to keep a lot of shredded and torn paper. I still recycle newspapers and fliers etc regularly.

This post was edited by jasdip on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 16:25

o

Most egg cartons are ok but I wouldnt use the colored ones not sure what that material is. The gray ones should be good to use.

o

Coloured egg cartons? The only ones I see are the white styrofoam type (obviously not good for worms) and the gray particle paper stuff. Are there other kinds?

o

Nope just two kinds of egg cartons for 99 percent of eggs. Some places, here, recycle both types. I feel the "the gray particle paper stuff" hand torn up a fair bit are just what the doctor ordered for small size vermicomposting. Great for adding texture to the bin. Delicious!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here