Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do not shred TP-cores

Posted by otis11 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 5, 09 at 18:24

I do not shred my TP cores but place them in my bin like chimneys. Especially at times where the bin tends to be on the too wet side. I also hope these chimeys will provide more air circulation (oxygen) and speed up things.

Otis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do not shred TP-cores

I've been adding them whole also. I haven't tried standing them up but they have been providing air pockets under the next layer added. Also I used to wet the bedding down in a bucket and wring it out; that made for wet clumpy messes. Now I add in dry and wet it down with a spray bottle, that seems to keep it nice and fluffy. Good topic!

o

Ohhh darn, I just tore up several to put in our new bin. I will remember to just save and use them whole once our wormies actually get here and our bin gets going.

o

Hmmm I actually kept them whole so my worms had a new jungle gym to play with, but aeration isn't a bad idea either!

o

I think that oxygen is the 'rate limiting factor' for growth of bacteria and therefore worms. We give them enough food. Bacteria can replicate explosively if they have everything they need. The idea about making TP rolls chimney's is great!

o

Whew. . . I thought this was going to be about something toxic!
I WAS new oahu wormer but I'm not so new anymore so I changed my name!

Hi Susan!

o

I'd read on another thread a wormer person liked to stuff their tp rolls with scraps, like cannelloni or manicotti - for worms!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here