Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I know if I actually have worm castings?

Posted by Ecopal none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 20:33

Hey Everybody
Well I have had my worm bin for about a month now and I would like to harvest a little for a basil plant I recently started. But the thing is that I do not know what is worm castings and what is just the thin layer of compost I put in the bin to duplicate there environment. How do you distinguish between worm castings and regular soil? They are all active and been reproducing like crazy so I must be doing something right.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I know if I actually have worm castings?

I think worm castings look a bit like chopped cigarette tobacco. If your bin is white or if you have ever kept worms in a light color container with a cover for a couple of days the sides of the container above the food level will have 1/4 inch castings on them. You should be able to see individual ones. Even when harvested you should be able to see the individual ones depending upon what harvesting method you use. Coffee grounds would be maybe rounder? It all depends upon how close one wants to look.

I know one thing. However good your vermicompost is this week, if you stop feeding for a week and let the worms work just on what you plan to harvest, you will like it even better in a few more weeks.

When I am in a rush for compost I put some in an old plastic easter basket with good sized holes in it and shake the material. What falls out is my harvest. What stays in is put back on top of the bin. I almost think this partially processed material is very good for the health of the bin. It balances out the excesses in all directions, too wet, to dry, to acidic, of new additions.

Good luck, hope you have some already.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here