Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gvozdika

Worm ID

gvozdika
11 years ago

Are these red wigglers? They have pronounced red rings but their bellies are all yellow and overall they are more yellow then red. They are great composters. Bought them almost a year ago from a pet shop (reptile food), poor guys were the last bunch, on sale. Just want to know what kind of worms they are. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

It looks like them...whether they're Eisenia fetida or E. hortensis I can't help on that. They look happy, plump and full of life.

• gvozdika
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! How on Earth do distinguish them? They have the same size clitellums (6-8 segments) at the same 24-32 segments. From what I read, E. hortensis is bigger. How are they measured? They can stretch almost twice their non-stretched length. Does anybody have good pictures of Eisenia fetida and Eisenia hortensis? Any other points do tell them apart? My worms don't smell, they like to be at the bottom of the bin, does it mean they are Eisenia hortensis?

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, I can't help, I haven't a clue.

• gvozdika
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks gerris2 for looking! There was a link to Earthworms4sale on another thread. They have a video of Eisenia hortensis on a measuring tape, they are long! I tried to stretch my guys on a ruler, at the best they can reach 4 inches. So, with the size as the only point to distinguish them, my worms must be red wigglers (Eisenia fetida)!

• gvozdika
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is another picture showing the position of clitellum (segments 26-32) and segment with male pores (it's a "waist line" between the head and clitellum, segment 15). Does anyone have an access to "Earthworms: Keys and Notes for the Identification and Study of the Spices" by Reginald William Sims, B. M. Gerard? Description of Eisenia hortensis would be greatly appreciated. All the best.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

gvozdika: Mega points for the great pictures with the tape measure and for the discussion about segments. I am enjoying it.

I do not know what your worms are but only because I do not even know what mine are.

I agree with gerris2 "They look happy, plump and full of life." If we had a most beautiful worm contest yours look the juiciest I have ever seen. I think I need a bottle of whatever they are crawling through for my face cream.

• gvozdika
    Original Author
    11 years ago

equinoxequinox, you might be surprised at how photogenic they can be. It was not easy to make them do the stretching on the ruler (they prefer curling) but they didn't make a stink about it.
    No wonder you don't know what worms you have. It is very tricky to identify them. From what I read, in appearance Eisenia fetida and Eisenia andrei are different in coloration only. I saw some more red than tiger wormies in my bin. !?
    It does not really matter. Just curious. I have plenty of them now that I can share and don't want to confuse others. My garden is all in pots, I don't need that much compost really.
    By the way, they get lots of tea leaves!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths