Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Soldier Flies and Meal Worms

Posted by tey157 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 23:01

Hello,

I'm writing because I just learned of Black Soldier Flies. In edition I'm also interested in Meal Worms. If anyone has any information on them or experience farming/ growing them I would be grateful to learn more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Soldier Flies and Meal Worms

Someone will be by in a bit to tell you where all the good BSFL websites are. We are primarily a vermicomposting worm site. We do talk about BSFL because it happens sometimes that with all the kitchen waste we add to our bins to feed the worms that BSFL co-habit the bin or even take it over. Some posters may feel BSFL are something to get rid of right away because they eat all of the food for the worms. Some posters may feel BSFL are a blessing that occur right when more material is available for the bin then the worms can handle right then. Then the worms eat the BSFL leavings which are great material for them. But the BSFL have a tendency to eat so fast that lots of moisture is left behind and the environment may not be worm exact.

Possibly somebody may be along to give you a bit of meal worm information. We do not specialize in that here. Other places do and they would have the good information on that.

If you are interested in BSFL and meal worms then perhaps might we interest you in vermicompost worms?

I am thinking you are not specifically interested in making use of kitchen scraps or making black gold for your garden. I bet 90% you are interested in feeding BSFL or meal worms to a reptile. 5% to fish. 5% to chickens.

I suggest trying to grow a bunch of things and one may work way better for you.

o
RE: Black Soldier Flies and Meal Worms

tey157 8b said
" If anyone has any information on them or experience farming/ growing them I would be grateful to learn more."

Here's a good place to start

Here is a link that might be useful: BlackSoldierFlyBlog and Forums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here