Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbryce_gw

Freecycle, GAK! What have I gotten myself into?

sbryce_gw
14 years ago

I have set aside another pound of worms to give away. I posted on FreeCycle. So far, 5 people want them!

Comments (29)

• rickd59
    14 years ago

That's a generous thing to do.

I would split your pound into quarters. I think a quart of worms plus compost is enough to start a bin. Most people kill their first group anyway, right? (I did.)

• marauder01
    14 years ago

Looks like you've started something there! LOL!

Like rick said, I'd split 'em. Even starting with 100, it's hard to stuff it up completely (unless you cook 'em like me :-)).

Spread the mirth I say!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

Give them information first.
    Let them know how you got your first pound of worms.
    How long it took to grow a pound to give away.
    Ask if they want to be on a list to get your next pound of worms?
    I so agree with rickd but the math seems a bit off.
    A pound is what people buy.
    Maybe a quarter pound is what people get free.
    Have a contest. A one paragraph under 200 words for how they plan to care for the worms. If adopting a cat there are all sorts of rules and regulations and they can inspect the cat in your house. So a paragraph is not asking much. And yes people do kill their first worms. I did. But maybe only 1/32 of a pound or less. And one of the people I shared worms with first also then promptly killed them too. Their second kill. Is mailing costs an issue or are they picking them up?

Maybe reply back to them what happened and they will have ideas.

I know when I had an organic food co-op buying group we used to save ourselves tons of one timers by not having an opening to join but chatting with them extensively first. Those with a long time intrest in similar subjects we found an opening for. Those who were on a brand new diet or wanted only to save money we knew from experience it would not work out for.

If you can find a pound and a quarter you can offer a quarter to each.

Ask how long it might be before they might be able to give away their first pound of worms. It is hard to give up friends.

~ squeeze the compost like a ketchup bottle

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, here is what I am going to do. I asked all respondents to give a brief description of their planned worm bin. Only one of them gave a description that gives me any confidence that the worms will be in good hands. She gets the worms. I am working on setting aside another 1/2 pound. Another respondent gave me an answer I didn't like, but she is eager to learn. I think she will get the 1/2 pound. She and her husband sound like people who will take that half pound and grow it into 8 or more pounds over the next year. I'll tell the others that if they still want worms in another few weeks, email me. I should have another pound set aside in another month or so.

I'm thinking about starting a third bin so I can give more worms away, but I am having trouble finding enough food for the two bins I already have. Besides, I don't know if my rental agreement allows me to have any worms at all in my apartment. The manager may not like it if I am hauling manure or food waste into my apartment every week or two.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

Excellent decision making process.

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

sbryce;equinox;Motion seconded!
    Curt~~

• eric30
    14 years ago

I also rent and have the same concern about the landlord. Currently my flow through barrel is covered with a blanket and an old comforter on the porch. If somebody didn't have the foggiest idea about vermicompost or organic gardening, how would one be able to process the idea of having a plastic barrel with worms and decaying material in your home?

• singleton165
    14 years ago

If it doesn't smell, why would they care?
    Disclaimer: I don't rent so I'm not worried about that kind of thing. BUT I imagine that if I did rent my place I wouldn't mind unless it was causing a problem.

• sbryce_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My rental agreement says that I need written permission to have any pet other than a bird or fish. I don't know whether worms are pets. They certainly won't be any more of a mess than a bird or fish, unless I do something stupid. But if I do something stupid, the manager will have a hard time getting it out of the carpet.

• eric30
    14 years ago

Flashbacks from a bad experience. I had an extremely nosy and controlling landlord at one point at an apartment community. They would schedule random apartment inspections for no good reason when I was at work. Just so happens it was my 1st year trying SFG on my south facing deck. My neighbors were mostly elderly and they would walk over and compliment me on the whole variety of things I was growing in 2 - 4'x 4' boxes; all well maintained and healthy. Sometime end of July I had a leg injury that put me on crutches. All of a sudden I got a note telling me to remove my plants immediately from my deck. Said that the neighbors were complaining about it and they weren't in "pre-approved" containers. I called the landlord and the only thing they would do for me is give me a couple of weeks because of my leg injury. The very next day, I came home from work and it was all gone. plants, ripe vegetables, herbs, and homemade potting mix all taken away and tossed in the dumpster; didn't even have a chance. It was a real heart breaker.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

eric30 your garden of eden was pearls before swine.

They tossed away gold in many ways.

The conversation value and community inducing benefits of growing vegetables was lost to them.

I would follow them around because no doubt they just let $100's fall away as they are blind to the value of true gold.

• eric30
    14 years ago

To stay on topic, that was the year I started a worm bin (2005). I was doing a lot of research and needed a good compost to make up 1/3 of my potting mix.

The next season I was still living in the same place and had accumulated a couple of pails full of vermicompost from a bin hidden in my small closet. This time instead of going with the boxes, I lined the front of my cement slab with planting containers and picked a whole variety of veges and flowers so it would look extra nice. By then I was friends with the guy upstairs so I ran cords down from his balcony to trellis the vines. I was very particular everyday to water and prune so they couldn't tell me that it was out of control. For a couple of months I didn't hear a peep out of the landlord. By the middle of August my entire cement patio was shaded by green plants and flowers grown in containers. Then all of a sudden they started to nit pick. They suspected that I was disturbing my neighbor upstairs by hanging cords from his balcony which wasn't true. Then they said that the neighbors were complaining about the excessive plants on my patio and it was "excessive". In the meantime I had been handing out carrots, onions, cukes, and peppers to my neighbors who came over to look at my plants. Then the scheduled apartment inspections, just like the year prior. This carried on for a few weeks until I received a notice to remove my plants and containers immediately. A heavy frost had hit and gardening season was over; I made it through a whole season! I gladly removed my plants and brought my containers of soil into the garage. When my lease was up, I received an eviction notice for my excessive gardening. I would have to say that the decision for me to move out was mutual.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

It sounds to me that you were single handedly creating community with that excessive gardening.

• Karchita
    14 years ago

I'll admit that I am also guilty of excessive gardening.

It's not such a bad thing.

• jonas302
    14 years ago

Wow Eric sounds like a story from comunist cuba or something glad you got out of that apt(:

Good job Sbryce pretty cool you can share the bounty like that

I rent also and my boss-landlord is very great but I still didn't tell him all the details of the bin in the basment (:

• folly_grows
    14 years ago

"Excessive gardening"?

You were probably also guilty of Excessive Generosity and Unauthorized Vegetable Promotion by sharing you carrots, onions, cukes, and peppers.

• eric30
    14 years ago

The next place I lived at was the complete opposite. The landlord had a big garden plot that people weren't showing much interest in. I ended up with a 10'x 40' plot to do what I wanted with; he even tilled it for me. Everyday for 2 weeks I brought a truck load of city compost to it after work. I helped out the old man next door with his watering (he would forget) and he invited me in for a cold beer from time to time. We had a huge harvest and everybody was happy; nobody complained or made us stop.

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

"I'm thinking about starting a third bin so I can give more worms away, but I am having trouble finding enough food for the two bins I already have. Besides, I don't know if my rental agreement allows me to have any worms at all in my apartment. The manager may not like it if I am hauling manure or food waste into my apartment every week or two"

Way to go Bryce! I've had successful workshops that I posted on FreeCycle to get people started. I did charge for it, but they came to my building, in the community room, where I had mini-bins, and everything they needed to get started.

Everyone got a bin, 1/4 lb worms, a little cultivating fork, bag of poop, a manual, and I provided the leaves, newspaper and cardboard for bedding. It was all hands-on.

They can't evict you for having worms. I actually asked someone who was at my workshop and they are landlords. They said that. Not that I was worried. When I started vermi-ing this time around (had a house before, divorce, house and worms had to go), my mom was shocked and said I'd get evicted. I replied, "For what?? NOISE??" LOL

• eric30
    14 years ago

I saw someplace where worm bins were actually incorporated into living room furniture. One was a sofa with a worm bin under the cushions. There was a flat screen on the ceiling so you could lay on your back and watch worms in action while listening to a highly magnified audio of worms doing their work. How relaxing is that?

• Jasdip
    14 years ago

In "worms eat my garbage" Mary mentions that someone she knew made a rom box nder the cutting board. She sliced the veggies on the cutting board, slid it back, and scraped the leavings into the worm bin underneath.
    Major Yuck!

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

With a cover on worms tend to crawl up the sides and onto the underside of the cover. A bit close for comfort. I would worry about squishing some when moving the cover. It certainly is a handy set up. I would have some egg carton shreds ready to toss a handfull in on top every time.

• amcook
    14 years ago

Back to the OP... I think it'd be great if you asked them to "pay if forward" by giving away a pound when their population doubles.

• Shaul
    14 years ago

It might be an idea to ask each prospective recipient to join up here first. Sure this hobby is enjoyable, but it's also alot of work. It's definitely not a 'set it & forget it' type of thing. Maybe, once they start reading the posts they'll realize that. The serious ones will pursue it, the others will lose interest. I've heard of people getting free worms and just tossing them on a dry compost pile or into the garden. Most people are paying $40.00/pound for the same thing. Just seems a damn shame (after all the work and care you went through to get to this point), to be giving them away and not knowing that they're going to 'a good home'.

Shaul

• eric30
    14 years ago

Some people just have no interest; or lose interest in no time. I set up a plastic bin for my older brother's family once with just a small hand full of worms. He set it in his basement and didn't do anything with it for over a year. I checked it when I went to visit him last and found a 1/3 bin of nice finished compost and all of the worms had perished. He set it outside next to the garage and there it sits. He is a zero maintenance gardener. He plants in the spring and lets nature take its course until he harvests in the fall.

• c_breer
    14 years ago

If any of you are wanting to give away worms i will take some. I start my compost bin during the fall and havent ot worms yet. Its a 32 gallon rubbermaid trash can. I include veggie scarps and all excess food not containing meat and garden clippings coffee grounds from home and from here work, dirt ext. ext. So if anyone feels generous i will take some of your hands. Ifa anyone has advice I will take that as well!

• c_breer
    14 years ago

WOW I miss spelled somemany words in that post. Man I look like an idiot!

• karendee
    13 years ago

Wow, I posted a request for worms on freecycle near where I live and nothing so far.

I guess worms have not caught on around me :) I am hopeful though

I think it is great all of you give away your extra worms!

Karen

• antoniab
    13 years ago

Karen, did you get your worm bin for mother's day yet?

• karendee
    13 years ago

Not yet, I am thinking of building one today. I am researching the flow through. I have a trashcan I can use.

I also have a kitty litter bucket now with all my worm collections, cardboard, leaves etc

I am hoping to set one up today though!! The food is well rotted!

Karen