Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrislucas_gw

Little flies infesting my house from my can o worms help!

chrislucas
12 years ago

I have had my can o worms for 6 months now and so far they seem to be doing well. They have even eaten half of a cotton T shirt that I put over the food scraps. Things have been going so well that I even managed to talk my wife into letting me bring it in the house and put it In the pantry for the winter. However, I recently had an outbreak of tiny little flies. Needless to say this has put a damper on my wife's enthusiasm. What can I do to get rid of these guys?

Comments (7)

• PeterK2
    12 years ago

Not easy. Some things to try, but all basically cut down the numbers as opposed to an instant cure.

- Smaller feedings, or give them a break from feeding altogether (have bedding they can munch on though). Also freeze (then thaw) feedings before adding so they get processed faster. Worst thing is food hanging around for weeks.
    - Bury the feedings under some VC. Doesn't have to be that deep as long as it covers everything, just don't want it open air. Loose shirt might not work unless it's really tight, loosely on top doesn't really count as if there's any gaps they can crawl in easily.
    - If they are coming from the top tray, try a mesh lid. Fine mesh overtop instead of the plastic one, held in place with bungie cord. Seals better than the plastic lid (at least the lids I've seen). Also stops the wife from seeing them flying around :). You can then lift up a corner and stick a vacuum inside without letting them all out (as the plastic lid would). Tap it around a bit to get the suckers to fly up and into the vacuum of death. You can do that daily to make sure they don't get old enough to lay more eggs.

With time you can drastically reduce the numbers flying around.

• chrislucas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great suggestions thanks!! The big fly explosion came after a particularly large feeding. Also I haven't been good about covering the feedings I figured the shirt was good but perhaps not. I've seen a hemp worm blanket is that worth a try or just a waste of money?

• PeterK2
    12 years ago

Can't say really as I haven't tried it myself. If it's a tight weave but still allows air through and not expensive can be worth a try. Just tuck in the sides or something. Anything loose will have the flies fly right past, they are pros at that.

• JerilynnC
    12 years ago

If they are fungus gnats, Peter is right on the money. If they are fruit flies, Peter is still right but you may also want to try a vinegar trap. Basically, fill a cup about 2/3 with vinegar, add one drop of dishwashing liquid (to break the surface tension) and place the cup near the bin. If, after a few days there are several dead flies in it, then you have a fruit fly problem. Fruit flies are relatively easy to get rid of, fungus gnats, not so much.

• tlyvonne
    12 years ago

If you have an empty long neck bottle of some kind put some vinegar in it don't need but about a half cup and set it near the bin. the flies get in and drown. You can also use a bowl or wide mouth jar covered with plastic and a few holes poked in it. You will have to change the vinegar every other day or so. This worked for me. Vonnie

• DougA_Chicago
    12 years ago

I've found banana peels in a bowl, add an inch or so of water and a few drops of dish soap, cover with plastic wrap with rubber band then poke some holes in it, works quite well.

• Karchita
    12 years ago

I have an outdoor bin, but when I had a fly problem in it I used an old-fashioned fly strip. Because it is so long, I attached both ends of it to the lid (making a 'U' shape) and it cleared up the problem very effectively.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES