Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwhelm your Food Scraps with Browns

Posted by equinoxequinox (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 0:41

"Overwhelm your Greens with Browns" This concept is the key to vermicompost bin balance. An unbalanced bin is an unhappy bin. We do not want unhappy worms.

"The name of the game is just to really overwhelm your foodscraps with your browns and you will see that you get much better compost. It's not going to smell and it's going to break down quicker" Credit to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwu21uR1oBQ

The micro tumbler looks like it might mix together my juicing scraps with browns and let them all get nice and juicy together before adding to the bin. But DIY I will just probably put them in a 5 gallon bucket and give it to the kids to kick it between two goals in the yard. Because I'm not going to spend a lot of money on a vermicompost pre-tumbler.

This post was edited by equinoxequinox on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 0:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwhelm your Food Scraps with Browns

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 9:18

Good information, thanks, Equinox.

o

Words of wisdom. A hot compost pile is built to balance greens and browns in a ratio that will cause the heating up of the pile. I think of vermicomposting, as starting with mostly browns to give the worms a medium to swim in, and adding greens to it as food. Anytime I get too far from this concept, sure enough, I get an unbalanced bin.

o

I managed to go double digit years just putting kitchen waste in my bin. Just in the past few days I have rediscovered the bin and gotten a ton of brown material I it. The worms had stopped eating and were all hiding somewhere. Now they are back and thriving. Long live the browns!

o

I use shredded copy paper from the office. Generous amounts laid on top of the kitchen scraps seem to make the worms very happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here