Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

A OK #1 Fruit Fly Capture

equinoxequinox
11 years ago

New into juicing with lots of fruits and vegetables around and lots of fruits and vegetable kitchen scraps thus an over abundance for my bin thus happy fruit fly season led to lots of flying friends. Taking a three prong approach of first putting all new kitchen scraps onto the winter garden instead of into the bin for a bit. Covering the indoor bin with sheer curtain material. I had two bins going and only one cover. Three. I noticed the tops of the kombucha (a fermented sweet tea) jars attracted the flies. They could not get in due to the paper towel cover. I had let the kombucha go a while and it was more a vinegar than a tea. Previously I would pour a bit of my best wine, fruit flies like good wine too, and a drop of dish detergent into a glass I never wanted to drink out of again. This would sit at my kitchen sink doing a fine job for a long while. I tried the kombucha with a drop of dish soap (to make the water wetter) and boy oh boy oh boy did I strike the mother lode. This is the results I expected years ago when I made my first vinegar trap and waited and waited and waited to even get one kill. I chased single flies around the kitchen to shuffle them towards the trap. Not very effective. But the kombucha trap works better than advertised and it is not even available on TV. But wait, there's more. If you have two glasses you do not want to ever drink out of again fill up both with the magic solution and have two traps working for you for the price of one.

Kombucha can be purchased at most health food stores. Drink 7/8ths and use the rest for your trap. You can even use the same bottle.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company