Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Excited that my expansion plan is working!

Posted by Worms4Tracy 9 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 2:12

Late last fall I started with a plan to expand my worm population - every time I harvested the compost with a 1/8" sifter, I took the leftover unprocessed chunky stuff (which was thick with cocoons) and put it into a new bin. I mixed brand new bedding with the unfinished compost mixture, and just waited. Three months later, I have six 40-quart bins that are chock full of worms and are consuming food at an amazing rate. They are now almost ready to harvest for compost, and I will use the leftovers to start new bins. Just wanted to share my delight with people who would appreciate my excitement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excited that my expansion plan is working!

That's awesome. My worms aren't expanding that quickly at all. Of course I'm not trying to expand that fast either.

o

Excellent Tracy! I know the excitement. I, too, have found that the little "casting balls" are filled with new hatch-lings. One night while harvesting I couldn't help notice how some parts of the castings were in a "ball" but there was no particular reason for them to be coagulated in such a fashion. There was no cardboard or unfinished compost. When I carefully opened the ball of castings I noticed very tiny white worms. Newborns! Now, I am careful to replace the little "casting balls", as I call them, knowing there are lots of little guys in there and they'll be juvies in a few weeks!

o

ChickenCoupe: Are you sure they are white, no hint of pink at all? Hate to tell you this but if they are white, those are pot worms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here