Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_dowling_gw

Neighbour has set up our worm farm and IT STINKS!!!

Laura_Dowling
10 years ago

Please help. Our very old, kind neighbour has brought us over a HUGE worm farm. It looks great and I was looking forward to setting it up but he came in and did it as a surprise... Problem is, IT REAKS!

He put a layer of lawn clippings then a layer of worms out of his worm farm, then some really rotten veggies and another huge layer of lawn clippings. No garden soil or peat moss etc which is the way I set my tiny one up and now the smell is unbearable!

(I never put lawn clipping in mine, is it a good idea?)

What can I do to bring it round, or should i sit and pick out all the worms and start from scratch?

Comments (4)

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

If you have a lotta space, you could outsource the offending odor emitter to the far reaches of it and forget about the thing until the worms catch up. Sometimes inattention does wonders for the emotional health of the herd.

Topless would speed up the process if rain can be controlled.

You might try to get the old man to hook up with our archives here ......unless you think he just gave you that abominable expletive in that condition on purpose, in which case a gift of either "Worms Eat My Garbage", or "How To Win Friends And Influence Enemies" might be a great reciprocal gift to him. Maybe both.

Chuckiebtoo

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

//////// wait a moment IIIIII ok that's better. I was stuck sideways.

It appears to be outside. The smell should quickly get less worse. Maybe a temporary fan would help. I think it is the grass. I am more worried the grass is hot. Is it? What stops rain from flooding it. Nice paint job. It was nice of him to build it for you. It appears to be made with love. What is the bottom of the bin made of? Were the grass clipping still green? If so they are food not bedding. I would add shredded cardboard. I would shred a big bag of extra cardboard. Possible put it in a sealed container right next to or under the bin.

I suspect he may sneak back from time to time with some more grass or veggies. I bet he is on his way home from Starbucks right now with 20 pounds of coffee grounds for the bin. Your job is to keep adding bedding and bake him a nice pie to thank him. Maybe put a lock on it :-) the bin not the pie.

Feel free to add a cup of garden soil and egg shells.

Note worms that live in garden soil are not the same type as worms that live in compost bins.

Also if the gentleman has that much vegetable waste he might enjoy learning about bokashi. If he tires of that BSFL Black Soldier Fly Larvae. Keep him busy or he will build a second bin for you. Since the first bin is a boy the second one will be a girl and he will paint it pink.

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

The bin has WAY too much nitrogen! That is why it stinks. It needs a LOT of carbon added to it. The problem is that if you add a lot of carbon to it, it will probably heat up and kill the worms.

Maybe push all this glop over to one side, bed the other side with lots of shredded cardboard, and wait until the smell subsides. You will probably find most of the worms in the area where the two sides meet.

Lawn clippings may be fine in a worm bin, but not in the amounts you are describing, unless the bin was pretty big and well established.

• klem1
    10 years ago

+1 on moveing the present contents,including worms to one end and filling void with sredded paper,cardboard or brown leaves.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting