Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Put One Foot In Front of the Other

Posted by equinoxequinox (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 3:09

A few days ago I had put 4 inches of recently harvested very rough vermicompost into a never used for its intended purpose, uncovered, diaper pail, like a 5 gallon pail but twice as tall. I have stored vermicompost in it before. I intended to put the compost back on top of the flow through when the level had sunk down a bit. I heard some singing from the basement at midnight. Flicking on the lights I saw an 18 inch tall half inch thick line of worms making a perfectly straight B line for the top rim. They were about 5 inches away from the top. So no doubt one followed the other. I shooed them all back down. Night vision goggles and camera would be great to see just how they do it. Like tornado chasing except worm chasing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Put One Foot In Front of the Other

Wow- for worms to organize and execute a 'freedom march'- maybe we underestimate our little charges? Obviously more research needs to be done on worms. The assumption that with a nerve ganglion instead of a �proper� brain, worms would be severely restricted in what they could accomplish. I�m at a loss for an explanation of a group activity on this scale. �Amazing� is the best I can come up with!

o

I looked through the archives for something I remembered reading here.

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topics/worms-communicating-with-each

It's a dot com. I hope the moderator does not freak out.

The line was maybe so straight because they were trying to "maximise contact" as the article says.

I wonder if the same one stayed the leader of if the leaders dried out and the livelier, still moist followers then took the lead?

o
Better Link

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/verm/msg0608151817821.html?8

o

Sounds like an experiment to me! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here