Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ianna_gw

bait worms same as red worms?

ianna
12 years ago

Hello, Is it true that baitworm and redworm are one and the same?

Ianna

Comments (8)

• PeterK2
    12 years ago

Not a fisherman but as no one else responded, they can be. I looked at bait worms myself when first looking for a local source of worms. There are other worms used for bait, so you'll have to be specific and ask when looking and hope your source knows the difference and is honest.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    12 years ago

My worms were harvest from a vegetation compost pile. They would maybe be good for brook trout or pond trout. They would be good for feeding tropical fish or chickens, etc. Worms I have bought for fishing seem way bigger, longer and fatter and sturdier and darker.

• mendopete
    12 years ago

I am a lifelong fisherman, and worms are the BEST all-around fish bait IMO. All compost worms make great bait, but all bait worms will not work for composting. I have found "bait worms" for sale by many names. Around here you can buy containers of 50 'red wigglers'(EF), 15 'mini-crawlers' (canadian nightcrawlers) or 12 'nightcrawlers'. Go for the 50 red wigglers.

• JerilynnC
    12 years ago

mendopete, what species of fish have you caught with EF?

• mendopete
    12 years ago

Hi Jerilynn. EF is my #! bait for perch, bluegill,crappie, and catfish. I have also caught rainbow trout, eastern brook trout, german Brown trout,steelhead trout,largemouth and smallmouth bass, carp, squaw-fish and suckers. You must use a small hook on them and sometimes 2-3 worms per hook, but fish love their wiggle! For the past 6 years I have fished saltwater only. I am thinking of trying ENC for ocean rockfish this coming summer.

• ianna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. The reason I was asking is because I find red wrigglers being sold here for vermiculture expensive but if I were to buy bait worms, I save money. Never really thought of growing red wrigglers for fishing purposes. Sounds fun.

• JerilynnC
    12 years ago

Thanks, mendopete.

I have a pond in my pasture that contains Bluegill, Largemouth Bass and Channel Catfish.

I've cost lots of bluegill, but never a bass or catfish with EF. Go, figure.

• 11otis
    12 years ago

ianna: if you are looking for free composting worms you can collect them from a compost pile/bin or aged manure pile.