Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Tale of Bread Crumbs

Posted by equinoxequinox (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 9:33

I have read that corn gluten is spread on lawns to keep weed seeds, especially crab grass from sprouting. Wheat must have gluten in too. Could bread crumbs be used to similar effect?

If bread crumbs due to gluten can be used to keep lawn weeds from sprouting then might the gluten in the crumbs if used as a large part of feed to the worm bin have the same anti sprouting effect if the resulting vermicompost is used to start seeds?

Bunch O' Bread Crumbs... spread on the lawn this spring to prevent crabgrass from sprouting or overtime into the bin to make great seed starting medium?

I have access to lots of waaay outdated bread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Tale of Bread Crumbs

Hmmmm. I have been feeding my worms lots of bread ends I got from a cafe. Now I have lots of little black bugs that are very fast to hide when I opened the lids.Must be some kind of grain or flour bugs. Never heard about that gluten effect. Learned something new every day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here