Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taking the plunge...!

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 11:47

My sister & I just ordered our worm composting bins, and are expecting the worms to arrive in a couple of weeks. I'm excited to get started with this, and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions & comments in the near future.

I'm planning on keeping my worms indoors, and my initial materials will include shredded wet newspaper and damp peat moss. Is peat moss too acidic for the worms? I saw that rotted deciduous leaves can be added also, and I wonder if rotted pine needles might not be a good idea...

I'm going to be conservative in my approach until the 'lads' get going...Sis is keeping her bins outdoors under a shade tree during the summer. Max temps here in coastal CT can hit 100 occasionally, so I will have to tell her about keeping it cooler...

Thanks!

Rick in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taking the plunge...!

The best of luck to both of you! Enjoy your worms!!! ;>)

Robert

o

The problem of peat moss being to acid is, IMHO, overstated. As I see it, the problem with peat moss is that you have to pay for it. I cannot imagine feeding worms anything that you have to pay for.

Rotted leaves are wonderful. The worms love them. I would toss some in now to help get the microherd established.

Pine needles are problematic. They break down slowly, and the pine sap is not good for worms.

Your conservative approach is a good idea.

o

Rick,

I agree with sbryce. Peat moss is slightly acidic but not enough to cause harm to the worms. Whatever you do, do not add lime to your bin though. I know that some worm vendors recommend it, especially when they hear you have peat moss, but it does next to nothing in your bin and as sbryce said why pay for something that that you don't need.

To quote chuckiebtoo's motto from the garden forums: Moderation, Diversity, Patience.

Enjoy the adventure. Oh and resist the urge to dig around ;-)

Alex

o

Totally agree with sbryce "I cannot imagine feeding worms anything that you have to pay for." That's why I can't bring myself to purchase coconut coir as beddings. I just started my very first bin in my life last Thur. and has done a lot of homework to figure what to do to decorate wormy's home. So far shredded paper/cardboard is the only thing that I use for bedding, along with the peat moss that came with my 1 lb worms. Any suggestion so I can skip coconut coir and substitute it for? p.s. I do have one bag of peat moss in my garage, but I think my bin is way too acidic/watery already, due to overfeeding. (You know, newbie's common mistake.)

o

rose,

adding additional shredded paper - you can even add it dry - to your bin will soak up the moisture. It's the most commonly used bedding and it is very cheap (if not free).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here