Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar in the Bin

Posted by equinoxequinox (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 12:48

I have a bag of sugar that was left on the cellar floor and is now damp and unusable for people. Maybe it would be like putting fruit into the bin? Eventually I hope to slowly get the whole bag of sugar into the bin.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar in the Bin

I think sugar will be fine, IF you do not attract ants. Maybe extra energetic worms will work OT.

o

That was my first thought too: ants. You could mix a small amount with the worm food every time you have some kitchen scraps etc. I'm sure sugar will attract some extra microbes, just don't overdo that. I'm no chemist but will extra sugar cause fermentation??? We don't want that in our worm bin do we?

o

I know some will use sugar to help keep traditional compost hot over winter. It is devoid in nitrogen (C12 H22 O11) but I think it will act like a nitrogen / green source in the composting .

I have put sugar in my bin but it was in rather trivial amounts such as when it got spilled on the counter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here