Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mushrooms sprouting in my bin

Posted by Niivek none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 13:18

I'm about a month-and-a-half into having my worm bin and noticed the other day that I've got a couple mushrooms sprouting up in my second bin. has anyone else experienced mushrooms in their bins? Are they good, bad or indifferent for the worms and castings? The mushrooms are definately not morels, or portabellos or the other ones you get from the store. they have a flowery looking cap and long narrow stem, mostly white with maybe a bit of blue in the cap. there's no manure in my compost, so I don't think they are that "other" type of mushroom either. Anyone have any idea how the spores could have gotten into my bin? I keep them in my basement, its been below freezing outside since before I started the bins and am using mostly coffee grounds, shredded office paper and beer grain as compost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mushrooms sprouting in my bin

I do not know where your spores are from, but mushrooms in your bin is OK. I have had them at times in my outdoor bins. I just pull them and leave in te bin as worm food. Also I have picked wild mushrooms around the yard and tossed them in the bin.

Good luck, Pete

This post was edited by mendopete on Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 22:52

o
RE: Mushrooms sprouting in my bin

I love it when I get things sprouting in my bin. I got potatoes sprouting from potato peels. Note: not from potatoes but from the peels! I couldn't believe it. These weren't thick peels either. They were thin thin thin. Man those casting are great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here