Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red wigglers vs nightcrawlers

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 13:26

I've got an indoor rubbermaid bin with the red wigglers (eisenia foetida) that is doing great. They seem very happy and are laying cocoons.

What is the difference between using red wigglers and the European Nightcrawlers for indoor composting purposes?

Thanks,
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red wigglers vs nightcrawlers

It is aid that European Night Crawlers compost and breed slower than red wigglers. I have both and I haven't noticed a big difference.

o

I just started a bin with reds for composting & am considering a bin for Euros too... better for DH for fishing. I want to have my reds bin a little longer to be sure that it's going well before I order the Euros.

I think it would be fun to have both & see the differences in the way they live and catch fish :) Although I may have a little more trouble putting worms on hooks now as I see them differently.

o

Sometimes I read that Euros eat and breed less, other times I hear they eat alot more than fetidas. I guess the one big advantage is that they grow pretty big.

o

They still intrigue me somewhat, in fact I may be getting some sent to me from a fellow wormer friend.

I know I won't feel as close and affectionate with them as I do the reds. They are actually kind of creepy cause they're so big. I don't fish, so I just want to see some differences.

I plan on keeping them in separate quarters. Some people combine them in the same bin as reds, since the ENC's like it moist and hang out at the bottom and the reds are at the surface more.

Sherry

o

Redwinglers have got a short lifespan and reproduce quickly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here