Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

European Nightcrawlers!

hummersteve
10 years ago

Has anyone used these and if so how do the compare to red wigglers in the ability to make vermicompost? Should I wish I had started with those instead?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

I'm not at that level yet. European Nightcrawlers are a more specialized area than red wigglers but they do seem to fall under the catagory of vermicomposting. The big boys play with them. They probably get all L. nammy in italics about them. Which they should.

• mendopete
    10 years ago

I have not tried raising euro's, but I have tried using them.... They are a great fishing worm!
    As to their ability to make compost, they are supposed to very good, but not as easy or efficient as red wigglers. Red wigglers also make a great fishing worm, but euro's are better IMO
    Before you guys beat me up, I have not hooked a worm in over 8 years, as I now saltwater fish to scratch that itch.

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

European........nightcrawlers......are.............very..........slow..............in..........everything.........they........do. M....o.....v.....i.....n.....g,............................... e....a....t....i....n.....g,..................&............................. .........r.....e......p......r......o.......d......u.......c......i.......n.......g.

They..................would ..................require.........a........... lot...............more..................space............. also.

Imagine the classic tortoise and hare race fable except the hare doesn't fall asleep on the job.

chuckiebtoo

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Im guessing the euros would be the better fishing worm. For making compost I will stay with the reds, but they are not a good fishing worm in my book. Either that or I just cant make them fat enough.

• Niivek
    10 years ago

Haven't messed with Euros, but I did add a couple Canadian crawlers into one of my bins last year. The red wrigglers didn't like them and tried to move out.

• klbfishing
    10 years ago

I have one large bin of the euros
    They breed a little slower but are great composters.
    I believe they will still double population every few months
    I have 5 smaller bins of red wigglers prefer the euros

• chazz1100
    10 years ago

I got euros from walmart. Starts with 50 or so. In property6 months you'll have a lot. Bout to start up some 55 gallon drum any ideas or pics of systems would be appreciated.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

I would cut the drums, used and free I hope, in half making two. I guess they would be divided top to bottom. This would give surface area as opposed to depth.

So tell us about your system. It sounds very successful. What do you feed? Is it chopped up or processed or aged? What do you use for bedding? How do you harvest? Are you trying for increased worms or harvestable vermicastings? Do you add water? How do you package worms or vermicompost for sale? What got you interested in vermicomposting? Do you share worms and information with friends and neighbors? Do you vermicompost indoors or outdoors? A large operation or tiny? What does your family think about it? Are they supportive, saving items to feed the worms or freaked out? Have yo ever had worms die? What do you think caused it ? How did you solve it? Do you have to deal with hot or cold?

• amy86
    10 years ago

I use euros.... I chose them because they handle northwest Indiana's whacky climate better than wigglers... at least they seem to. It can be anywhere from~ -15 to 100ðF in winter and summer respectively. I have them in a small bin under my sink as well as a larger bin outdoors on my balcony... yes, they are a bit slower than wigglers but they get the job done. Also- as mentioned previously- surplus worms are great for fishing :)

So I'd say if you have them outdoors and the temperatures in your zone tend to be colder in the winter months you might be happier with euros. Also the amount of scraps you'll be feeding them- my husband and I don't really produce much compostable waste so my worms are more than capable of keeping up with us.

Here is a link that might be useful: My composting pinterest board

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

"Also, as mentioned previously, surplus worms are great for fishing :)"

I kinda hope you're smiley-face at the end of that sentence means what I hope it means.

When I started wormin', I was not averse to putting a worm on a hook. After a few years, minnows and artificial lures were my only baits.

Not a kook, but worms are simply the most valuable assets a gardener or yardsmith can be lucky enough to be friends with, and should be considered to be vital to all non-chemoheads doing good out in the yard.

That said, I can tolerate the opposing view.

I guess.

If I don't think about it too much.

cb2

• chazz1100
    10 years ago

Anyone have a problem with ants in worm bins or plants?