Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heavenlyfarm

Newbie!! Need help with this project!!

heavenlyfarm
10 years ago

Hi everyone,
I believe this is my first post to this forum ever so hello guys! Lol. Anyways, I've been looking for a way to compost and help improve the soil in the gardens and also use up alot of paper and scraps that just get thrown away. I mean, I occasionally take the time to take coffee grounds or egg shells and work them into the gardens but I want something bettter...so I wanna start a worm composter!!
Now, I plan on keeping it in a room that is basically my potting "shed" and keeping it out of direct sunlight. I live on a budget so would like to go with something cheap and thought maybe I could make it myself!! But i must ask for your opinions and if it would work!! I have 21" long storage bins that are 12" deep so my plan would be too poke holes in the bottom of the one used for the compost bin and then put it in a second one which will collect all the "tea" and juice. I would also poke holes in the top lid for air....
Now as far as starting them off, how deep should i make the shredded newspaper? My idea would be as i keep adding more materials and the worms work through it that it will fill the entire bin which is when i can start on the next bin....Now does the seem like a logical plan? lol have not done much reading on the subject yet so I hope to get a few opinions. or if you think the worm factory 360 is worth the investment and works alot better? (originally that was what i planned on buying but i don't really have the extra cash and prefer to use up stuff I have already!)
~michael

Comments (8)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

I'm just so not into the holes in the bottom method. I feel enough bedding should be provided that there is nothing to drip. A cover is not needed. However, being in a shed there might be more of a chance of a mouse so I guess a cover would be good. A burlap bag could be used instead. How cold or hot does the shed get?

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

You don't need to buy the expensive bin. Your plan sounds good. How much surface area will the bin have? I'm wondering if your bin is a little on the small side, but you only gave us one measurement.

Your bedding should be about 6 inches deep. Shredded newspaper will work, but it isn't the best. It tends to clump badly. Shredded cardboard is better. But use what you have. If you can combine the shredded newspaper with something else, it will help. When I had my worms, I used primarily shredded cardboard with some shredded office paper, junk mail and, in the fall, dry leaves. If a package arrived that was packed in newspaper or kraft paper, that was shredded and added to the bedding. I used what I had, but when I ran short, which was almost always, I scrounged cardboard.

I don't like to poke holes in the lid. I prefer a row of holes just under the top lip of the bin, about as high up as I can get them.

When you start your second bin, you can prepare it with a few inches of bedding and set up right on top of the bedding in first bin. Most of the worms will eventually crawl through the holes in the bottom of the upper bin to check out the freshly decomposing food there.

• sbryce_gw
    10 years ago

I'm into holes in the bottom for two reasons. My bins always ran a little moist, and it allows you to use the stacking tray method of harvesting.

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

Using plastic totes, it's pretty necessary to allow drainage because the bins retain moisture so completely.

I put 2 holes in the bottoms of plastic bins...both on the corners and only on one end. That way if the bin is too wet, it can be tilted with the hole end lower than the other and higher if no water needs to drain.

cb2

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

"I don't like to poke holes in the lid. I prefer a row of holes just under the top lip of the bin, about as high up as I can get them." An advantage to this is if it rains water will not flood the bin. If there is a hole in the bottom of the bin the cover can be used to catch any drainage.

• SelenaD-Composter
    10 years ago

I got mine for $60. It's a four stack plastic bin with spout (retails for $90 online) plus a free bag of worms. There were composting workshops all over the county being offered by county recreation services. Anyone in attendance got the discounted worm bin to take home that day OR my city actually offered a traditional non worm garden bin for free for city residents with proof of residency. Check your local city and see if they offer anything similar. I went to the class purely for the discounted bin and worms but learned a lot at the class too.

• BluButterfly323
    10 years ago

I am not a fan of the holes in the top. Actually I leave my lid off most of the time. But my bins are indoors and the worst thing that happens is one of the dogs will grab a piece of cardboard and go chew on it. (whatever floats her boat). I cut a large rectangle out of my lid then took plain old window screen, cut a piece to match the hole in my lid (add a little on the sides of course) and duck taped the screen to the lid. I suggest using Gorilla Duck. Its the best. Now I have a super wide area for air flow and I can see in as well. With the hole style you end up with condensation on your lid.

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

"I don't like to poke holes in the lid. I prefer a row of holes just under the top lip of the bin, about as high up as I can get them." An advantage to this is if it rains water will not flood the bin. If there is a hole in the bottom of the bin the cover can be used to catch any drainage".

Chuckiebtoo

I was gonna write about the best way to "hole" bins but I couldn't have described the perfect way any better than EQ2 did, so I plagiarized her.