Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendraschmidt_gw

Tiny White Worm Thingies in my Bin

KendraSchmidt
11 years ago

I have a few wormbins now, and my worms are doing well and seem to be fine. However, I've noticed that there are these very tiny white worms crawling all over the place, and now covering the lid of two of the bins. They're extremely tiny, but so numerous that I can see them easily. What are these worms?

Why are there so many of them? It doesn't seem to be present in the pictures of wormbins I've seen from others.

Comments (9)

• mendopete
    11 years ago

Probably pot- worms. They show up due to wet conditions or overfeeding. They should disappear when bin conditions improve. They cause no harm. Good luck! Pete

• KendraSchmidt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They're also in my flower pot, in which I planted a small pepper plant in sandy-ish soil...they seem to come to the surface when I water, then as the top layer dries, they burrow underground (in the pot) until I water again. Then they surface again.

Is this the same thing as a pot worm?

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

If you have tropical fish wipe a few of the worms off of the cover of the bin and dip them into the fish tank. The fish will love them. Free live food will get the fish in tip top show competition shape. It will also encourage the fish to breed.

• wayneyquo
    10 years ago

I have loads of these things in my bin. Should I feed a dry mix for a while to dry up the bin a little as they seem to be taking over. I have fed ripe banana's in the past but this seems to be too wet for the bin.

• Priswell
    10 years ago

>>Should I feed a dry mix for a while to dry up the bin a little as they seem to be taking over.Put in some dry shredded paper, cardboard or sawdust (I use stove pellets for this type of situation - they're ultra dry and fluff into sawdust after a few minutes), and mix well in the bin. Check the bin every day and add more dry bedding in small amounts until it seems like the water is under control. The potworms will die off when the conditions favor the redworms.

• worm_composting_help
    10 years ago

Hello,

I am pretty sure that you are talking about Springtails!
    They are basically in all worm farms and are harmless.
    You can just ignore them they will cause no trouble whatsoever for your worms or your worm farm.

Have a look at the link below and you will find some more information about springtails and other worm farm inhabitants that you might find inside your bin sooner or later!

Most of them are actually helping to break down the organic waste.

Kind regards

Stephan

Here is a link that might be useful: worm farm inhabitants

• firecat
    10 years ago

Like some of the others have said sounds like pot worms.

• 11otis
    10 years ago

Yep, potworms. Springtails do not look like a worm at all.. Sorry.

• wayneyquo
    10 years ago

Thank you everyonel for the advise. every little helps

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities