Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stupid human - weed seeds in germination mix

Posted by mr_yan none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 18:39

Well I did it. I mixed a bag of seed starting mix with sifted compost from my worm bin and I have unknown seeds popping up all over.

For things like peas, beets, spinach, and broccoli I have no problem as most of the weeds look like peppers or tomatoes. On the other hand for the 32 peppers and ground cherries I'm at a loss.

I moved the soil up to the warm area I have my seeds starting in hopes that the un-wanteds germinate before I start the next round.
Any other suggestions before I start my tomatoes next weekend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stupid human - weed seeds in germination mix

Ha! I think that's in the bible. Jesus said just let the weeds grow and burn em at harvest time.
Sorry no offense meant to Christians or Athiests.

o

Your experience is at least a good heads up for us. I think I had a mouse that handled all the pumpkin seeds for me.

o

I generally have seeds sprout in the bins and they get killed and composted in there but it must not have been warm enough for the peppers and or tomatoes.

I wonder what microwaving will do to the viability of the seeds? Certainly I won't microwave my VC but the balls of bell pepper seeds wound be easy to do.

Thinking about my kitchen scraps - where else would you read that line in seriousness - the only real seeds that we scrap are peppers. There are points where melon seeds are in there and I wouldn't have trouble with apples, strawberries, citrus, pears, and stone fruit messing up my generations-saved peppers.

Pumpkin seeds get coated in olive oil and salt or chili powder and roasted at 350 until they make crackling noises in this house.

o

I put all kinds of vegetable and fruit seeds in the worm bins. Some of them sprout, but given that the bin is dark, nothing gets very far. After a while, it's all eaten by the worms. When I screen the VC, I don't see many seeds.

Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here