Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elly_nj

Got worms?

Elly_NJ
10 years ago

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I have kept worms before.

And I have a unique request.

I volunteer at a wild bird rehabilitation center in NJ The Raptor Trust and have been asked to create a worm farm for the incoming injured Amrican woodcocks, a species of bird that eats about 25 worms a day. The facility spends a lot of money buying bait worms.

I need to design easy access bins - stacks of them - so I can keep trays going, some to regenerate the depleted bins, others to use for feeding.

This will not produce the worms needed for the coming month.

So: do you have worms to spare for this bird season? If you're in NJ or eastern PA I can come out to pick up. If you're comfortable mailing them I'll pay for postage.

AND you will get the monument satisfaction of helping The Raptor Trust save injured wile birds!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/american_woodcock/lifehistory

"The American Woodcock probes the soil with its bill to search for earthworms, using its flexible bill tip to capture prey. The bird walks slowly and sometimes rocks its body back and forth, stepping heavily with its front foot. This action may make worms move around in the soil, increasing their detectablity."

"American Woodcocks eat earthworms and other invertebrates they find in the soil, including snails, millipedes, spiders, flies, beetles, and ants. They forage by probing the soil with their long bills, which have flexible upper mandibles specialized for capturing and extracting earthworms. They sometimes rock their bodies backward and forward as they forage, shifting their weight heavily from foot to foot. The vibrations from this motion may prompt earthworms to move underground, making slight sounds that the woodcock may be able to hear or feel. They also eat small amounts of plant material, such as sedges, pigweed, and members of the rose family."

Here is a link that might be useful: The Raptor Trust

• Elly_NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Huh???

• Shaul
    10 years ago

If this was meant as an April Fool's Joke, it's three weeks too early. This could be compared to someone posting on a Tropical Birds Forum, looking for freebies to feed their cats.
    Let's see, 25 worms/day = 9,000 (approx) worms a year = 9 lbs (approx). Believe me, I could do a heck of a lot with 9 lbs of worms (and it wouldn't be as bird feed either).
    I spend a lot of time and effort always trying to find the best system to keep my worms happy and well-fed and they return it in the form of high quality fertilizer and increased soil fertility. I've helped a number of people in the past get started raising redworms, with free donations of worms, but for 'bird feed'??
    This whole thread just feels Evil.

Shaul

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

The four main things I need to know about visiting the Raptor Trust:

1. Will you accept bitcoins as donations?
    2. Will I have to cross the George Washington bridge to get there?
    3. If the parking lot for visitors NOT bringing worms is full, will the parking lot for those bringing food for crippled raptors allow me to park there if it is empty?
    4. Are KooKoo's an endangered specie there?

• Elly_NJ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so glad that red wrigglers have a champion! Someone speaks for the worms!

I think you should consider also saving other invertebrates from the native wild birds (and moles!) that have eaten them to survive for about 20 billion years. You could save roly-polies and maybe ants, too.

And crickets! Wild birds eat crickets. You could set up an invertebrate sanctuary.

How about a Be Kind to Worms week? Or Be a Friend to Invertebrates club? Hopefully, in our lifetimes, all insects and other invertebrates will be safe from predators, such as all native Passerines and Charadriiformes.

Thanks for showing me the light.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• boids
    10 years ago

If you can't get enough worms to feed your birds i got some Emerald tree boas that can take them off your hands. There natural diet is birds. I see a win -win situation , less birds means more worms for them and my snakes get fed.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

Many here purchase worms when they go fishing.

"roly-polies and maybe ants, too. And crickets!" Not interested. But I have read that even BSFL raisers have a similar affection for their little guys.

"How about a Be Kind to Worms week?" Good idea. How come we do not have a week dedicated to worms especially with worms being the intestines of the earth and all. Worms already have a champion. Of all the creatures Darwin studied his favorite was... worms. "It may be doubted whether there are many other animals which have played so important a part in the history of the world, as have these lowly organised creatures."

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz