Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anaerobic castings at bottom of bin? How to "dispose" of them?

Posted by KendraSchmidt none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 20:18

I just finished cleaning out one of my worm bins. At the bottom of the bin, there was a clump of stinky, wet casting. The two top tiers of the bin were fine but as usual, it's the bottom that gets totally wet. And for some reason, the worms seem to like it there (no idea what that's about!).

I now have a big jug of that stinky stuff from the bottom which I'm assuming is anaerobic casting/matter. My question is, what do I do with it now? Do I just pour it outside into the soil? Can it kill any plants I have outside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anaerobic castings at bottom of bin? How to "dispose" of the

I usually spread that matter on 2 layers of burlap on top a working bin. The liquid seeped slowly into the bedding below, the worms moved down too. Fluffed it like 2x/day and after several days the wet muck became a managable VC.
BTW, how wet is your "stuff". Flowing wet? When you "pour" it onto the burlap, you could wait until it stop dripping, then put that on top of the working bin to prevent flooding it.
Hope this works for you.

o

It's not flowing wet, but it is like a thick mud. I was wondering if I could just pour it into an outdoor compost bin, but something tells me that's a bad idea. :(

o

You could do that if you like and you do not mind "losing" the worms to your compost bin. I don't think anything can go wrong with an outdoor compost bin. It will fix itself except dryness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here