Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going bottomless outdoors

Posted by mendopete 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 22:45

Why go bottomless outdoors?

1) Moisture control: It never gets too wet down there.
2) Ventilation: Always plenty
3)Temperature control: nearly impossible to overheat
4) Flies: there are a few but bother nobody
5) Odors : very little if any
6) Escape route: safety for the overheated worm. The worm will return when things cool down

This hobby of ours is easy, relaxing and fun. Don't take it too seriously!

I always go bottomless outdoors because my wife won't allow it in the house..... Pete

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going bottomless outdoors

Pete, if I had read your post somewhere besides the Vermicomposting Forum, I would swear you were talking about the advantages of not wearing underwear.

chuckiebtoo

o

Whoops, wrong forum! Sorry

o

Following chuckieb's comment, I got quite a crack-up when i got to the 'Flies' part!
Now, too bad I live in an apartment with lots of neighbors.... I mean I dont have a yard!

o

7) If a little poop falls on the ground, it is not a big deal. Just pick it up and serve it for dinner

Never go topless outdoors.... They will dry-up and shrivel, or the raptors will peck at them

o

You guys are great!

o

Sorry if this post offends anyone. The Irish in me came out.

I am a believer in the outdoor bottomless method. I have had great success doing this in zone 8. I do it because it is easy, and I have a large volume to compost

If you have burrowing critters, put a piece of hardware cloth down first. Worms may pass, but gophers will not!

o

Digging my bottomless bin today! Found a new perfect spot in deep shade. Going 12" deep or so in Zone 8 with 4" above ground.

o

Should I put the bin under some shade or would a piece of burlap over the bin be fine?

Thanks
IanE

o

IanE that is a difficult question to answer. It depends on the type of bin, volume of the bin, feedstock being used, and your specific micro-climate.

I have worm cages in full sun. Lots of straw is used on the sides and tops to shade and retain moisture. Sometimes I cover this with cardboard as well. It is sometimes foggy here in the summer, and 80F is a hot day.

I think full sun is beneficial in cooler months.

More than a little burlap will likely be needed in summer sun.

o

Thank you for the reply!

I think I will try to put it somewhere in half sun half shade the best I can, I live in Florida, it's always hot here haha.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here