Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misha35

How can I keep my bin cool this summer?

misha35
16 years ago

I have three good size bins that I have been keeping indoors over the last year. I have had a problem with fruit flies inside the house since my bins are inside. I have moved them to the garage this winter. Fly problem solved! Since I live in Texas, the cold has not been a problem. The coldest it has gotten is the upper 20s. Inside my garage, it has hardly dropped into the 30s. The problem is the intense heat that I will get this summer. Has anyone had luck keeping theirs in a garage during a hot summer? Could I put it partially in the ground in a shade?

Comments (11)

• trancegemini_wa
    16 years ago

Hi misha, I would recommend putting the bin under a nice shady tree for the summer. the most important things to keep it cool for the worms are moist bedding, ventilation and airflow through and around the bin and shade so under a shady tree is the ideal location.

there is also another thread below which you might find useful
    heat and red wrigglers

• flatlander
    16 years ago

i worried about that also, but my wife kinda forced me to move them out of the basement in the summer. It get's over a hundred frequently in my area but i keep the bins under a shade tree and haven't noticed a problem. I don't think it's optimum conditions, but they seem to have been thriving for several years.

• misha35
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the information. Do any of you know if it is better to leave the top off the container during the heat?

• flanna
    16 years ago

Misha this is my first summer vermacomposting so take this as such. I am going with my bin a foot deep in the ground and in the shade. Soil in my zone 6a is only 55 degrees all summer if you get below the frost zone. In fact it should do double duty for me as in the winter it should keep the bin from freezing.

Good luck.

Darren.

• leftcoasttransplant
    16 years ago

Hi, there.

I'm a newbie at vermicomposting, but was at a composting demo over the weekend with a woman who has been composting for years and had a lovely vermicoposting bin with lots of happy worms. She had a couple of tips about fruit flies:

1. Put your veggie scraps in the freezer overnight and it will kill any fruit fly eggs that are on them. Then, transfer them to your bin.

2. Wash your fruits & veggies - even the organic stuff - to get the fruit fly eggs off!

3. Be sure to bury your fresh scraps in your bin.

4. Put damp, shredded newspaper in the top of your bin. She had a couple of inches in her bin, and this detracts the fruit flies. If you bury your scraps, and keep them underneath the newspaper, that should really limit your fruit fly problem.

And finally, a non-bin related tip that has worked well for me for getting rid of fruit flies. :) I use a jar or a glass and put some apple cider vinegar in the bottom. Then, create a funnel out of a piece of scrap paper and tape it into the cup. The fruit flies LOVE the apple cider vinegar, and you can trap them pretty quickly using this method.
    (More info/methods here: http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fruit-Flies)

Good luck!

• doc_dot
    16 years ago

Remember, red wrigglers are only efficient at temperatures from 55F-75F.

• old_compost
    16 years ago

Yep. So If you are stressing them with extreme temperatures, you cannot expect them to do their job: MAKING POOP.

• suziqzer
    16 years ago

They have the life don't they!?!?!? Live in a controlled environment, eat table scraps, & make poop!

• JamieG
    9 years ago

Misha, I live in Florida and have to deal with the heat and humidity. This is my first summer composting with worms. So what I'm doing is freezing my vegetables before I put them in the bin. Then I'm also going to install a small battery operated fan to the ceiling of the bin and hopes to help with the humidity and evaporation. The evaporation should also help with the cooling effect. Just a couple of ideas, good luck with your composting.

Jamie

• 11otis
    9 years ago

I agree to best put the bins outside where there is a breeze. You might want to cover them with burlap or an old piece of carpet to slow down evaporation somewhat. You don't want them to dry out.
    Here is a trick I read on another VC site. Use flat egg cartons and cover/tile the surface of the bin with these flats and fill the "cups" with water. The flats will stay wet longer this way and doesn't "dump" the water down the bins all at once making them sopping wet. I have been doing this for keeping my bins just at the right moisture level.

• arizona_wormer
    9 years ago

I have a bunch of 1 liter bottles of water that I keep in a freezer. I can put one or two in a bin, depending on size and it not only keeps them cool BUT it forces them to congregate to that area and "get to know each other" (if you get my drift).

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert