Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamk23

Mushrooms taking over bin

ajk23
10 years ago

Hi all,

This forum has been amazingly helpful with other questions, so I wanted to post this to you. I have a set of stacked Rubbermaid bins, and I am on my 2nd batch of vermicompost. First batch progressed beautifully, and the current batch has been going for several months. The bedding on this one is composed purely of shredded cardboard.

Everything was going well, but about 3 weeks ago I began to notice mushrooms appearing. They have nearly now taken over the bin! The bedding at the bottom of the bin has become matted beds of mushrooms, all frilly and intermeshed in the shredded cardboard. Worms are living amongst the dense blocks of mushrooms, while other worms have congregated either in the corners of the bin, or climbing the sides. There is a decent mushroom odor to the bin, and it seems drier.

I have read that mushrooms aren't harmful in a bin, and can be a good sign...however they keep multiplying and seem to be dominating the bin. Any guidance or advice you have is helpful and super-appreciated. The mushrooms are pale white with light grey gills. If pictures are helpful, I'm glad to snap a few off, but figured that just asking the question in theory may be enough of a starting point.

Thanks so very much,
Adam

Comments (2)