Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gypsum and Worms

Posted by yolos 7b-8a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 23:30

I am getting ready to build 10" raised beds in my garden. I would like to work some gypsum into the red georgia clay that is currently in my garden before I add the raised beds on top of the clay. I am trying to prevent waterlogged beds and allow deep rooted veggies to penetrate the clay if needed.

But I am also trying to attract native worms to the beds. Will the addition of the gypsum to the clay prevent the worms from coming into the beds or harm the worms that will be added when I add my compost to the beds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gypsum and Worms

by james ellison:
http://jellison.wrytestuff.com/swa15796.htm

Just spread it on the lawn, using the granular type, with a lawn spreader at the rate of 40 pounds per thousand square feet. Gypsum fertilizer can be spread any time of the year and only one application per year is needed. To get it started working, water immediately after applying. If applied properly it does not affect the pH of the soil, not harmful to humans and your animals and will not burn. And because Gypsum is neutral and will not change the soil pH, you can use it in places where plants like Azaleas, Camellias, Rhododendrons and other acid loving plants grow, they need a little calcium too. Of course, gypsum should be applied per directions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here