Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrot shavings

Posted by sf170089 Los Angeles (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 0:31

I am just wondering if anyone else has seen this. My worms seem to ignore carrot shavings. I have had carrot shavings in my worm bin for ~ 3 weeks. It looks as if they are all still there! Since then, I have added asparagus ends, banana peals, apple cores, zucchini ends, strawberry ends, old blueberries, and others that I can not seem to remember. All have been eaten, but the carrot shavings remain.

Has anyone else seen this, or are my worms finicky?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrot shavings

As with most things in the worm business- just give it time.

Carrots are a lot like Potato peelings- they take a while to break down. I have potato peelings in my bins and they will hang around for a while and then just go soft and the worms are all over it.
I figure having them in the bin helps keep the bedding from compacting and helps keep the soil pH in good shape.

- You can also cook or microwave the carrots before adding them to the bin. It'll soften it up and allow it to decompose quicker. (Yes, yes- add only after cooling.)

o

I've fed mine "carrot pulp" from juicing carrots. I've also thrown in potato & carrot peelings and haven't noticed any
problems. . .I DO mix everything up before placing in the bin.
How are they going to SEE if they don't eat their carrots!

o

newoahuwormer, you made my day.
Gonna remember that one!

o

Peelings from root vegetables like carrot, potato and beet take longer to decompose because they can actually continue growing in the bin. My mother ignored her bin a few winters ago and in the spring it was full of mini potatoes. Cooking root vegetables first makes them decompose faster because it kills them. You can also freeze them or chop them into fine pieces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wormgirlmontreal

o

I hadn't thought about that. I suppose if they were in big enough piece they might try and grow, especially if they got just a little light too.

o

Carrots do take quite a while to decompose, and I've seen old ones floating around in my bin for quite some time. But eventually Mother Nature takes over and the worms have their carrots. It's good because if you skip feeding them for a while, the carrots will be there to be eaten eventually.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here