Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melindaah

I have worms ...now what

melindaAH
11 years ago

hello
i am new to gardening and worms...
I got 2000 of the wiggly little things and after screaming and jumping around a few times i managed to get them in a new RM home made of paper shred and peat moss
I didnt wet the peat of coarse....so i had to try and add water while not drowning them....then they tried to escape so i quickly ran and google and discovered a light would send them back down the walls....now they are in the box...minus a few a have trying to escape time to time...but now i have the little white eggs on the walls...should i jsut start over make them a better home? as much as i cant stand to handle them yet ..i really want to use the compost...i feed them bananas carrot and scraps help!

Comments (3)

• worm_composting_help
    11 years ago

Hello Melinda,

welcome to the worm farming community! Running a worm farm might initially sound difficult but I promise you it is much easier than it sounds.

It's never a good sign if lots of worms want to escape from a worm farm. This indicates that they are not happy with their surroundings.

Sometimes peat moss as well as certain paper might be acidic which is harmful to worms so they obviously would like to get away from this. If you force them down with light which definitely should work because they don't like that either you might cause further problems.

If you use paper as a bedding for your worms use only old newspaper and not any shiny stuff or white photo copy pat\per!

If only a few worms seem to be sticking to the walls of your worm farm then the conditions shouldn't be to bad anymore.

Anyway I have been a worm farmer for more than 14 years now and suggest you have a look at the following links that can assist you with most of your questions!

In the picture I attached you can see a home build worm farm that I made. The plans how to build it or a similar one you will find here:

http://www.worm-composting-help.com/homemade-worm-compost-bin.html

There are normally no eggs on the walls of a worm farm if you go to my website and post a picture of those white subjects you have in your worm farm I will gladly identify them for you! They might as a matter of fact just be harmless springtails?!

If you want to find out how to start a worm farm, how to feed the worms, how to harvest the worm castings just browse the pages of my site and you should get all the answers you are looking for free of charge!

Just keep going with the worms they will provide you with fantastic organic plant food and you will do something good for the environment!

If you have further questions please let me know!

All the best and kind regards

Stephan

Here is a link that might be useful: worm-composting-help

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

"if you go to my website and post a picture of those white subjects you have in your worm farm I (a worm farmer of 14 years) will gladly identify them for you!"

Or post the pictures here and many worm farmers of 3, 6, 9, 14, 21 and 28 years will gladly identify them for you.

A ".com: website by definition is the abbreviation for company. Companies are not allowed ply their wares at this site. Perhaps you noticed the many notices to that effect when signing up and posting. Many worm farmers post here regularly without hawking their websites especially within their first week of joining.

Stephan please join our worm farmers who post free information here while not promoting their commercial ventures.

I can appreciate the care and effort you put into building a vibrant website with pictures and sharing information.

P.S. "Large Spinach Plants grown in Worm casting rich soil!" picture appears to be of white stemmed Swiss chard or kale.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    11 years ago

melindaAH,

"screaming and jumping around" A twig and stiff piece of paper are handy for scooting any stray worms up off of the floor and back into the bin. Eventually when the worms are happy you should be able to go with out the light depending upon the type of worms. When a storm of any season is approaching give the worms a quick peek. Full moons too. Or is that new moons? In the quiet of the evening it will be easier to hear the worms. This is how I judge the happiness of the worms. Listen. What do you hear? It should sound like Rice Crispies. I do not know exactly what causes that sound.