Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lims_gw

Help needed. Harvest with BSF composting

lims
14 years ago

I don't intend to use black soldier flies to compost but they are just there. Recently I start to like these creatures. They decompose kitchen waste way faster than some commercial yeast I bought before. But I have a serious problem; I don't know how to get clean compost from the recycle bin!

I can't separate the compost and the larvae. I could have just dry the compost under sunlight. But I don't think my roommate will be happy to see crawling maggots or even dried maggots, especially in the balcony instead of garden!(I live in an apartment so balcony is all I get) For him maggots are maggots and I'm not going to convince him that BSF are harmless. I'm not even gonna let him know what's in the recycle bin. He's just too anxious. You know, he's the kind of person who sprays pesticide everywhere and cleans everything with alcohol.

So, is there any clean way to get the compost into the pots, without any maggots fooling around? I have checked the internet and know how to harvest the larvae. But what I want is larvae-free compost instead of compost-free larvae. ^_^"

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner