Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smalltowngal_gw

Anyone use worm food?

smalltowngal
14 years ago

So my father-in-law gave me a bag of worm food that he picked up from Walmart. He's trying to be supportive of my crazy hobbies. :) So, I've been sprinkling a little on top of my bedding and then put two flat pieces of cardboard over time to help keep things the right moisture level. Well, when I pull up the cardboard in the morning, I see a bunch of younger worms at the top. They apparently love the stuff. It seems like the older worms prefer my kitchen scraps and being down deeper. One of the ingredients in it is calcium carbonate so I'm wondering if the grit is mixed into it. I was wondering if anyone else has messed around with it though and if it appears to provide a bit of a boost to your worm bin when you are first starting out.

Comments (8)

• fam62cc
    14 years ago

I am apposed to buying anything to feed the worms. The idea is to get rid of the household garbage. If it's good enough for us it should be good enough for the worms.

Dave Nelson

• smalltowngal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I wasn't going to tell my father-in-law to take his gift back. :) I was thinking if it did contain grit in it, it might be good for people who don't want to use outside dirt or sand in their system. It was a 14 oz. bag and I haven't used much but I think I might throw it in any time I start a new bin.

• steamyb
    14 years ago

I have a friend who uses "worm food" to fatten up his fishing worms. If it works for you, then do it. And I agree that a gift is a gift and to refuse the gift is to reject the giver. Shows a little class to be able to say "Thank You" and I am sure the wigglers will appreciate it.

• 11otis
    14 years ago

I agree, a gift is a gift to say "Thank you" to.
    It just shows that a lot of people still need to be educated about worms as garbage converters. Or pets who work for their board and food, so to speak.

• oldchipper
    14 years ago

I don't use worm food, but I add checken laying mash to my Canada Nightcrawlers, that I use for fishing, they get fatter than my garbage fellows! I add a cup of washed sand in my bins. Worms need grit. (no teeth) just my 2 cents

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    14 years ago

What a great father-in-law! At the next family get together raise a glass about how glad you are to be part of such a great family (husband, father-in-law, mother-in-law, others) who love you so much they even care about your worms! You are a valued part of their family. You are truly blessed. Even your worms.

We may have relatives or neighbors who also think of us and donate their kitchen scraps to the greater good and to us specifically. Community is a great thing.

• fam62cc
    14 years ago

Well, I thought my post contained an obvious element of humor, but I guess humor is in the eye of the humorist. I am embarrassed though by my mis-spelling of "Opposed".

Dave Nelson

• jonas302
    14 years ago

I would bet he got it by the fishing worm section it might be usefull for starting new worms rather than losing 25 dollars to a newbie feeding mistake

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!